Rose Edges Help!

Decorating By SarahEvans Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm by Cakepro

SarahEvans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahEvans Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 16

I am making cupcakes for an event and I am putting a buttercream rose on each one. I have become good with my rose but I can NEVER get the edges to be smooth. They are always chipped looking. How do I solve this problem???

15 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 16

i always have my icing between medium and stiff.. never stiff. i put my icing in a med. plastic bowl.. i take my spatula and just keep turning the icing over and over and mashing it to the side of bowl. until i see that it is smooth as i want it.. then when i am making the petals. i pressure the bag good.. as i make the petal.. the rules are. if you have jagged edges.. your b/c is too stiff or you are not pressuring good enough.. please try this. i teach the rose at michaels in the wilton classes. hth. i have never added corn syrup to my icing.. i just use water to get it the consistency i need. and again.. smooth it good in the bowl.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 16

I was taught to mix in a little piping gel into the buttercream.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 16

Add a little more shortning to your icing. It won't thin it out, it just makes it creamier.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 16

The ragged edge you're talking about indicates your icing is a bit too stiff...nothing to do with technique. You can make it a bit "looser" by adding a bit more water or as suggested piping gel. I like piping gel as it helps to increase the cohesion of the sugar and fat without thinning out the icing, so the petal shapes stay better.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 16

It also helps sometimes to open out the pointed end of the petal tip just a tiny bit.

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 16

It is not always the case that the icing is too stiff, which is why you should add more shortning (piping gel will work too, but if you don't have it shortning is fine) If your icing is the proper consistency - you don't want to add more liquid to it (like water or milk) or it will thin it out too much.

khoudek Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 16

I've never used shortening so I'll have to remember that trick. I've also found with my students, they take short cuts on mixing time. If the icing isn't mixed well enough ( I don't mean on high speed whip, but length of time ) then the petals don't come out smooth either.

Loucinda Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 16

That is definately something that makes a difference. (the mixing) It is hard to make them understand that a lower speed for a longer time is better than high speed for a short time!

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 16

I didn't start this thread BUT

Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewgratefulquilts

I didn't start this thread BUT

Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif

helpful for me also thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 16

........icing is a bit too stiff...nothing to do with technique. You can make it a bit "looser" by adding a bit more water or as suggested piping gel........

Not true. Most people - especially newbies - do not use enough pressure when piping roses.
Water will thin the icing and probably cause the petals to droop.
Piping gel is good but it is *much* better to use a bit more Crisco.

OP: I *prefer* my roses w/those 'chipped' edgesicon_smile.gif To me they look much more real.

khoudek Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 16

Kakeladi, I'm not saying too stiff is the only reason. But as an instructor the 2 most frequent reasons I come across are my students not using enough liquid and too short a mixing time. And I'm definitely going to have to try the shortening idea. However, my buttercream recipe is all butter so I'm wondering if it will work the same as shortening due to the lower melting point.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........icing is a bit too stiff...nothing to do with technique. You can make it a bit "looser" by adding a bit more water or as suggested piping gel........

Not true. Most people - especially newbies - do not use enough pressure when piping roses.

I agree - the two problems my students have is either their icing is too stiff (in which I have them add a little piping gel) or they are not confident with their piping and thus are not using enough pressure. About 75% of the time when a student complains about raggedy petal edges, I pipe a few petals with their icing and it is simply a problem with pressure.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 16

Sorry to jack this thread ,, but I have a problem w/ mine drooping and mu icing is a mix between half real butter and crisco . I don't have any trouble w/ my frosting it's the Rose I have yet to be able to make one ? I'll try the pressure thing but I dont think it's that ? hm,mm I need to make a rose ! I can do everything else . BTW I also have used an all criso based and still just alittle droopy ,, do I need merengue

bump

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 16

No, you do not need meringue powder - you need to add some additional powdered sugar or cornstarch to your icing in order for your petals to stand up straight and proud. icon_smile.gif This works with both shortening and butter-based crusting buttercreams.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%