I Need Help!!

Baking By cassiopeia Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:47am by cassiopeia

cassiopeia Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a wedding stack of cookies. I want them to all be the same. how do you bake sugar cookies without them spreading? They have to be done on Thanksgiving so how many days ahead of time can I make them to have them still taste really good on Thanksgiving. Its just going to be sugar cookies and royal icing.

15 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 16

What recipe do you use for your cookies - some spread and others have only minimal spreading.

brincess_b Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 16

overmixing = spreading. i think if ur butter is too soft it can cause spreading issues, as can the recipe its self.
you can take them just out the oven and use the cutter again, perect shape.
xx

LeanneW Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 16

I think if you chill the dough on sheets after you cut them out it stops spreading but I'm not a cookie maker.

cassiopeia Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 16

I cant remember what mix Im using. I know it asked for 1/2 cup soft butter and after I mixed it was to soft to even use a cookie cutter ): I put it in the fridge over night and it got harder but I think its still going to spread a lot when I bake it. I was thinking of adding a little bit of flour to the mix. Is that a good idea? Using the cookie cutter again after baking is a good idea. Thank you!

emilyc262 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #6 of 16

I cut mine, put them on the cookie sheet and freeze it for about 10 min. I use NFSC. I find they do spread if I use Airbake sheets so I avoid those. Good luck.

luv2bake6 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 16

There are members here that just reduce or cut out the baking powder in the recipe to avoid spreading.

sadsmile Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 16

Re cut them. A lot of the crisp edged cookies are re cut. If you look closely you can see that it has been cut. I read they cut them when they come out of the oven and are still warm and just discard the crusts. That is how you also do not see a browned edge.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 16

What Sadsmile said. I have the fondant precut. When they come out of the oven I lay teh fondant down and recut them. Nice & pretty, very clean looking.

cassiopeia Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you for all the info. I baked them and recut them when they came out of the oven and they looked perfect.

chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 16

I don't know if any of you have tried this but when I make cookies I use a shortbread recipe. It tastes great and the cookies do not spread at all! I made a huge batch of cookies for a bake sale and my shortbread cookies were a huge success. If anybody would like the recipe just to try just message me.

cassiopeia Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 16

That sounds really good I would love the recipe. I was just using sugar cookie mix from the store.

chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 16

This is the recipe I use.

Shortbread cookies

1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
4 c. flour (bleached flour works best)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
4 cubes butter (no substitutions, please) room temperature

Mix PS, flour and cornstarch together then cut in the butter until the dough is the consistency of playdough. (I've found that using my hands to mix in the butter works best.) Roll dough out on lightly floured surface and cut out shapes. Bake at 350 for about 10 -15 mins. You want them just slightly golden around the edges. Cool on racks.

Enjoy!

cassiopeia Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you so much. This sounds really good!

chinadoll652003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #15 of 16

Your welcome. Hope you like them. Let me know how it turns out for you.

cassiopeia Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #16 of 16

http://cakecentral.com/articles/112/how-to-bake-decorate-cookies

Found this article just now. Would have helped a few days ago. Oh well
Maybe it will help others with the same troubles.

I will let you know how it goes. I will probably be making some of your recipe tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%