Decorating By jhuntl01 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm by sadsmile

jhuntl01 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake coming up that needs pearls so I bought a 6 mm CK mold, but I've never done this so I need a little help with some things. First is it possible to use marshmallow fondant in one of these molds? I tried with very little success, but my fondant was kind of dry at the time. Also how do you get rid of the little seam of fondant that you get where the mold closes? And last I read that if you put luster dust in your mold prior to putting in the fondant that they will not stick at all and will come out already shiny...has anyone done this? TIA for any help, I really need it icon_smile.gif

5 replies
pattigunter Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

I use them all the time. I didnt have a lot of success when I tried to use it with a homemade white chocolate fondant. It was too soft. It works really well with satin ice or fondx though. The line where the mold meets is the perfect place to slide your pearls onto your cake. Just kind of tuck that lip in. And luster dust works wonderfully to keep your fondant from sticking.

CakesGoneSweet Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 6

Go to You tube and watch tonednas' video. She is a wonderful teacher

If the link doesnt come through search it "fondant pearl borders"

sadsmile Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 6

Dusting the mold is great. Try not to bend the mold open too far. Roll a snake the size of the mold-6mm and open the mold and push it inside. Squeeze the mold closed and scrape off the excess. If your pears still come out with a line where the seam on the mold is then turn your pearls over and glue that seam down to your cake at the base to hide it.
Jennifer Dontz has a DVD on how to make perfect pearls and she shares a recipe for chocolate clay that people rave about how easy it is to use. Her DVD is on my list of things to get.

jhuntl01 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so more quick question these will not be a border they are just kind of draped in a scallop around the top. They will be on a buttercream iced I just attach them with the dot of buttercream on each end or is there something more that I need to do?

sadsmile Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 6

For that, the safest thing to do is use a half mold so the pearls will have a flat back like in Edna's tutorial youtube video and then pip a very thin line(so it won't show but will help them stick) of fresh butter cream where you want them to go and place them on that.
You could kind of push the seam into the butter cream and see if the round bead pears will stay. I haven't done that so I don't know. If it was on fondant you could use tylose or gumglue and hold it on till it sets up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%