Has Anyone Ever Pieced Together A 16" Square Cake?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm by msmeg

KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding next year that has a square cake
6",8",10",12",14",16"......the 8",10",12" tiers will be styrofoam, since she doesn't need all those servings, they're keeping the top.

I can fit an 11"x15" turned longways in my oven...but the pan is right against the oven door so I'm thinking there is no way I can bake a 16" square in there!! Initially the bride had the 2 bottom tiers fake and all the rest real, then she changed (to get more servings)...........I thought I could either bake 2-12"x18" cakes and cut it into an 8"x16" cake and put 2 of these together, or else 4-8" squares...but this kinda scares me, especially with it being a huge cake. Has anyone ever done this?? I know that my support system is what will support the cakes (I use sps) and will have the sps plate between the 16", and 14"....do you think I need one for the 6"?? I'm thinking no...although I should probably put one on top of the 14" huh? so weird doing a 6 tiered cake and only having 2 plates LOL.

Anyhow, any advice on this would be very much appreicated!! This is the biggest order I've ever had and I really don't wanna mess it up. She also is going to have 100's of orchids flowing down one side from the top to the bottom (fiancee's parents own a garden center, so she gets whatever she wants at no charge, lucky bride!)
Has anyone ever arranged orchids before? I would think I could just poke the stems in the side of the cake but with styrofoam I don't think that's gonna work and I know I'm not gonna have the time to attach each stem with floral tape to a stick! Probably should allow 3 hrs. just to put all those stinkin flowers on huh?

TIA for ANY help!

10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I have a wedding next year that has a square cake
6",8",10",12",14",16"......the 8",10",12" tiers will be styrofoam, since she doesn't need all those servings, they're keeping the top.

I can fit an 11"x15" turned longways in my oven...but the pan is right against the oven door so I'm thinking there is no way I can bake a 16" square in there!! Initially the bride had the 2 bottom tiers fake and all the rest real, then she changed (to get more servings)...........I thought I could either bake 2-12"x18" cakes and cut it into an 8"x16" cake and put 2 of these together, or else 4-8" squares...but this kinda scares me, especially with it being a huge cake. Has anyone ever done this?? I know that my support system is what will support the cakes (I use sps) and will have the sps plate between the 16", and 14"....do you think I need one for the 6"?? I'm thinking no...although I should probably put one on top of the 14" huh? so weird doing a 6 tiered cake and only having 2 plates LOL.

Anyhow, any advice on this would be very much appreicated!! This is the biggest order I've ever had and I really don't wanna mess it up. She also is going to have 100's of orchids flowing down one side from the top to the bottom (fiancee's parents own a garden center, so she gets whatever she wants at no charge, lucky bride!)
Has anyone ever arranged orchids before? I would think I could just poke the stems in the side of the cake but with styrofoam I don't think that's gonna work and I know I'm not gonna have the time to attach each stem with floral tape to a stick! Probably should allow 3 hrs. just to put all those stinkin flowers on huh?

TIA for ANY help!

Either way will work. As long as you have a very sturdy base and dowel the tier properly, there's no reason there would be any pressure on the base tier, so it would be fine. On an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes, one baker made a 26 inch round tier by cutting 4 wedges per tier form sheet cakes...and the final cake was huge!

KHalstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 11

wow 26" round cake??? That's insane!!!! Glad I don't have to figure this out with rounds!!!! lol Thanks for the vote of confidence in what I was thinking of doing!!!

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 11

I will be doing a 16X16 tier for the bottom of a wedding cake on 12/5. I plan to do it using (4) 8" squares. I'll have to let you know how it goes when I'm done.

Loucinda Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 11

You should take pics of the steps involved so you can share the how to on this - I know it has been asked several times.

cabecakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 11

Or better still make a video for youtube.

jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #7 of 11

I don't know how to do a video, but I'll try to remember to take step by step photos. I just hope I don't have to post it in the disaster forum. icon_surprised.gif

sewsweet2 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 11

I would advise using 12x18 to make the 16" square. If you stack 4-8" squares on top of 4-8" squares there is a change that they could shift and crack. JMHO

I would cut the sheets down then to make the 16" square.
LL

sweetreasures Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:38am
post #9 of 11

thanks for the diagram sewsweet2. I was thinking of using 12 x 18 myself for the sizes I need and didn't get that far in my thoughts about stacking.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsweet2

I would advise using 12x18 to make the 16" square. If you stack 4-8" squares on top of 4-8" squares there is a change that they could shift and crack. JMHO

I would cut the sheets down then to make the 16" square.

This pattern should be quite stable!

msmeg Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 11

now I would prefer the 4 8 inch squares because the edges are not cut it is a very stable cake and I assume the 14 is stacked on top without a seperation..

I find when you cut a cake it is less stable than the baked edge.
I did it and had no problem at all. and I do not even use the SPS I used the wilton plastic dowels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%