Tips For (Better Looking) Tiers

Decorating By cakesweetiecake Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:42am by cakesweetiecake

cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

I've been thinking about this over the last few days. I wanted tips for better looking tiers. Yes, construction is important, but there are other things that can be done to make better LOOKING tiers. I've some some really good advice posted throughout the board.

In this thread http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6619780.html#6619780,

FromScratch suggested that an 8" top tier is not pleasing to the eye.

leah_s suggested that Wedding cakes really do look best if the top tier is 6".

Any other tips?

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 10

Well those are personal preferences. I mean Margaret Braun has 3" tiers that are 4" tall --I think she has a 2" tier that is 4 inches tall--I loaned my book out though so I can't double check--but it's what you like.

The stores I worked for would never do less than a 6" top tier--I love small cakelettes on top--they're cute!

I mean an 8" cake is screaming for a 5 inch cake on top of it I think.

I mean if by your (serving) calculations you have to have an 8" top tier you gotta decorate it to make it look good or it will look kinda big--they're more of a challenge.

I think bottom tiers should be taller than the upper tiers because there's an optical illusion that the upper tiers are taller even though by the ruler they are the exact same height--it just comes out looking that way--so I like to shorten my upper tiers to offset that visual effect.

cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks, K8. Yes, I was looking for personal suggestions, not necessarily standards. LOL! I know there's no "rules" when it comes to decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

I definitely understand what you're saying about the taller bottoms. It's definitely not something I would've even thought about before joining CC. I know all of this depends on the overall design, but do you generally shorten the tiers as they go up or just the top tier?

I think, in that previous thread, Leah and FromScratch were suggested the 6 inch as a maximum for the top tier.

KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 10

I like more than a 2" difference in cakes, but again that's a personal preference thing. Most of the wedding cakes I've done are only a 2" difference but that's what the brides wanted. I have however done several cakes with a 4" top tier and I didn't think it looked any different than one with a 6" top, again because they decended in size equally anyhow! They're just a pain to ice and cover in fondant that's all!!

Both of these are 4" tops

Oh and just for added interest, and to show that there are always times to break all the rules (lol) the first cake with the offset squares, the top is an 8" lol
LL
LL
LL

grandmom Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 10

Khalstead, those are some serious good-lookin' cakes!

cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 10

Lovely cakes, Khalstead.

I used to prefer the looks of the cakes wtih the inch difference between the tiers. However, I now like alot of the cakes that I see on here with 2 inch difference between the tiers. It's amazing that 2 cakes with the same dimensions can look completely different (in size). The more I thought about it, I realized that it's the little things that can make a big difference. I've realized that the borders (or lack of border) makes a difference in the 2 inch difference between the tiers. A smaller bottom border (or no border at all) can make the tier stand out a bit more. If I remember correctly, some of the cakes that come to mind dont have a top border either. I just havent gotten comfortable enough for no borders yet. LOL. I am working on it though.

One of my many fav "2inch differences" was made by Indydebi

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1454112

khoudek Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 10

I'm ok with cakes having a 1 inch difference, except if there are a lot of gumpaste decor or fresh flowers added. Then it looks crowded to me. One thing I think is ok, as long as the bottom tiers are many and big is an 8 inch tier as the top. I think it is the overall proportions of the tiers used and whether they compliment each other. Recently, I've been very drawn to the tall tiers where there are 3 to 6 layers in them and they are narrower on the bottom then the top. It is definitely a matter of personal perference, but I'd love to make one.

cakesweetiecake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:25am
post #8 of 10

I love, love, love tall tiers, too. I cant wait until I can make one! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 10

When I first started doing cakes 30 years ago, I never even owned a 6" pan. All top tiers were 8".

Here's one with an 8" top: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297425

Now, here's the same cake with just the 10/12" tiers. With the appropriate decors, it can look right: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297422

For years, my standard cake was a 14/10/6 (4" diff). Recently, my standard cake has been 6/8/10 (2" diff). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what looks good to one, looks like crap to another.

Neither is right or wrong .... it's just different. I frequently mingle a 4" diff and a 2" diff on the cake tiers. Some will gasp in shock, but it works for me and works for the client.

If the client is happy with it, that's all you really need to know. thumbs_up.gif

cakesweetiecake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Lovely cakes, Khalstead.

I used to prefer the looks of the cakes wtih the inch difference between the tiers. However, I now like alot of the cakes that I see on here with 2 inch difference between the tiers. It's amazing that 2 cakes with the same dimensions can look completely different (in size). The more I thought about it, I realized that it's the little things that can make a big difference. I've realized that the borders (or lack of border) makes a difference in the 2 inch difference between the tiers. A smaller bottom border (or no border at all) can make the tier stand out a bit more. If I remember correctly, some of the cakes that come to mind dont have a top border either. I just havent gotten comfortable enough for no borders yet. LOL. I am working on it though.

One of my many fav "2inch differences" was made by Indydebi

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1454112

Geez, I should've proofread before posting this. lol! The first line should say I used to prefer the look of cakes with THREE inch differences between tiers...

Deb, I've definitely noticed your 2inch differentials. I have them saved on my computer for inspiration! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%