To Scratch Or To Box????

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #31 of 48

icon_confused.gif Really? Another thread about this??

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

icon_lol.gif Days apart even! Do what you want, do it well, be proud...and if your in business with it, be honest.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

icon_lol.gif Days apart even! Do what you want, do it well, be proud...and if your in business with it, be honest.

Oh no! Not be honest! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #34 of 48

Well, what I learned from the other thread is that there is no baking from scratch because K8 bought emulsifier, using fondant makes it not scratch and then there was some stuff about marshmallows, followed by a letter from a lawyer and then a duck fart. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

and then a duck fart. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry. I had to add that little guy in. Couldn't resist. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:28pm
post #36 of 48
Quote:

Well, what I learned from the other thread is that there is no baking from scratch because K8 bought emulsifier, using fondant makes it not scratch and then there was some stuff about marshmallows, followed by a letter from a lawyer and then a duck fart. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #37 of 48
Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!! That sums it up perfect. OMG icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!! That sums it up perfect. OMG icon_lol.gif

Annnnnd, I couldn't compose myself for a good 5 minutes after reading that brilliant summation, totally sounded like an idiot on the phone with a vendor (thankfully we're good friends and was not really surprised I was snorting soda out of my nose), and had to hang up and call them back after I was done laughing. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

AMEN, HALLELUJAH, PRAISE BE, AND CAN WE BE DONE WITH THIS QUESTION ALREADY???????? icon_surprised.gif
CAKE IS CAKE!!!!! BE IT BOX OR SCRATCH!!!!!!!!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #40 of 48

I like to box! LOL I tried the scratch but I prefer to doctor a box mix. I like the way it tastes better than scratch. AND I may be doing something wrong but every time I make a scratch cake they break??? Oh well. No one ever asks me if my cakes are from scratch or box. I get tons of compliments.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #41 of 48

LOL icon_biggrin.gif Not about scratch VS mix, but about GUILT. This is the THIRD thread I've read today about feeling/not feeling guilty over cake. LOLOL. It must be a man thing. I can not for the life of me understand how you can make a sellable, tasty high quality product, and feel guilty about it. LOLOL This just totally strikes me as insanely wanting to be a train wreck LOLOL. I make a great cake, decorate like a two year old. I should be the only one who cares how I got to being able to make a great cake. If your happy with what you produce relish the fact that you can do what most people can't. It doesn't matter if it's box, scratch, or if you summoned the ghost of Merlin to make it.

Debate the point forever, but NEVER feel guilty about how you got there.

Mike

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #42 of 48

I was'nt aware a duck could fart?
You learn something new everyday thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

LOL icon_biggrin.gif Not about scratch VS mix, but about GUILT. This is the THIRD thread I've read today about feeling/not feeling guilty over cake. LOLOL. It must be a man thing. I can not for the life of me understand how you can make a sellable, tasty high quality product, and feel guilty about it.

throw the gas on me now and flame me to high heaven, but Mike is right. I've said it a million times. Women are such WUSSES when it comes to business. We are our own worst enemy. We worry about people LI-I-I-I-I-IKING us and not hurting anyone FEEEEEEEEEELINNNNNNNNGS. We don't want to price things for what they are worth because we worry that someone might think we're ripping them off, or we don't want them to "...pay that much for food" (a quote I saw in a thread right here on CC).

And btw when I say "we" that does NOT include ME!

Once women get over this crappola way of thinking, these types of debates/discussions won't be necessary anymore.

At least I can hope to high heaven it gets there in my lifetime.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:32pm
post #45 of 48

I agree Indy - and again, who instigates the stigma of the mix?

I have none, and I try very hard to help my students realize you can use a mix and be proud of it! thumbs_up.gif

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:38am
post #46 of 48

If challenged I dare any non-caker to make a better mix cake than mine! When I first started making cakes I thought I had to make scratch cakes. Then a wonderful lady in my life asked me if I could get a certain friend cakers recipe which she knew came from a box. I was very hurt and told her MINE was from scratch! She told me it didn't matter where it started from as long as it was the better tasting. After I got over my injured pride I realized she was right and have been doing mixes ever since with nothing but compliments.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #47 of 48

Casey thumbs_up.gif

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #48 of 48

I am only doing cakes from scratch and have learned that substituting buttermilk or heavy cream when the recipe calls for milk makes them a LOT more moist! Just add a WEE bit mire than the recipe calls for... it it says 1 cup of milk , I will add 1 cup PLUS 1 TBSP of buttermilk or heavy cream...
works for me = )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%