Will These Cake Sizes Look Good?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm by vagostino

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry about asking this type of question again!

This is for my first wedding cake, she invited 300, I'm going to tell her to get a cake for 208 servings, and i'm planning to do this sizes:

6,8,10,12,14. there is 2 inches between layers....is that enough difference?

I don;t want to do a 16 inch base cause i've never covered such a large cake in fondant.

Thanks!

5 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 6

Stack the cake pans on top of each other and see how it looks. Personally I like 3 inches between sizes if not 4. 2 is too close in size for me to appreciate the different tiers. IMHO

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 6

Are you selling this cake? Did she request almost 100 less servings than she has invited guests, or is this your suggestion? If you are selling this cake, and she needs 300 serves, then by all means, sell her the 300 serves.

There isn't that much difference between covering a 16" cake with fondant than to cover a 14" cake. Roll it up on a piece of clean PVC pipe that is cut long enough to accommodate the size of the fondant.

Now, as you your size choices, there are plenty of cakes out there which only have a 2 inch difference between the tier sizes. You will have to use a very small border, or ribbon around the bottom, to accommodate the size, but it will work.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

you can do the sizes you wanted and then make a sheet cake for the size no special decorations just cake and frosting , and you will have enough to feed for

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 6

If you can cover a 14'' cake then you can cover a 16'' and is there a particular reason why you are reducing the servings? 100 is quite a gap. Is it a free cake? I think you should talk it over with the bride before doing that cos too many people will not get to eat cake which is not so good.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 6

She is paying for it. I was going to suggest this sizes because I'm followings insydebi's advice about getting the cake to serve 60%of the people you invited. That gives me 180 servings so by doing 208 it will be even more. I was going to tell her that if two weeks before the wedding she does have te 300 rsvps I can make an extra cake to cut in the kitchen.
Also, I only own those size pans.
What would be the ideal cake sizes for it to look the best?

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%