How Do I Paint On Fondant Or Icing?

Decorating By suchamo Updated 4 Dec 2014 , 2:30pm by Snowflakebunny23

suchamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchamo Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 18

I see all the time on the cake shows on TV, the decorators painting colors on the cakes. Where do the colors come from and how do I make them? I would like to draw on my cakes with edible stuff other than the markers you can buy. Pleaes help. Thanks. icon_cry.gif

17 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 18

I use gel paste colors and clear vanilla (you can also use vodka)...the alcohol dries quickly without leaving a sticky finish.

I dip a toothpick in the gelpaste and transfer to a color mixing tray (or whatever you have) then add vanilla or vodka..the more you add the less intense the color...just remember not to redip you brush into the vanilla or vodka...it will color it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 18

I use americolor gels right out of the bottle (squirt a little onto a foam plate for my pallette) and brush it on with a paint brush (used only for cakes)

I've also used airbrush color to brush on, and have also painted with regular buttercream with water added to it to thin it down some. I"ll show you examples of all of them!
LL
LL
LL

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 18

Beautiful cakes KHalstead !

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 18

Those are lovely. Thanks for the tips!

suchamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchamo Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 18

Thank you to all of you who answered me. I was at a loss as to what to use. I figured it was the gel paste colors but wasn't sure what to mix it with.
Would there be a danger serving a cake painted with vodka colors to children? After all it is alcohol?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 18

The vodka evaporates. That's why we use it instead of water, because it will evaporate quickly enough that the fondant doesn't get soggy. You can use a clear vanilla or lemon extract if you prefer...they have alcohol too but they don't sound as bad to some people icon_biggrin.gif If you do a lot of painting, vodka is much cheaper in the long run.

Ebonyswanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ebonyswanne Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:37am
post #8 of 18

Beautifully painted cakes! Thanks for the tips.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 18

Hello
I didnt know that its possible to pqint from airbrush colors directly from the bottle this sounds easier to me !

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 18

I was at a big of a loss the first time i wanted to 'paint' on fondant....so i found edible powders at my local decorators store that come in a huge range of colours - i 'wetted' the powders with vodka then you can mix and paint away. Here's the Tyrannosaurus Rex Head i created for this 3D Dig Out cake with the edible powders icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

daprincessnora Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:24am
post #11 of 18

Wow
Great work !
Actually i painted my fondant first time yesterday and not happy with the results, i used vodka on rec color to paint spiderman cake for a 3 tiers superheros cake and the color was uneven, i didnt like the look and becoz was short of time i rolled a new fondant and colored it with gel colors and applied it on top of the other, it took me hell of work to adjust the red color on a 1 kg fondant but yes looked better

I have to figure out where was the problem, the vodka amount, color amount, the brushs or what ...

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 8:31am
post #12 of 18

I'd never heard of them before (and i don't know were you live) but try these edible powder paints if you can...you can add as much vodka as you like to dilute the colour for a wash base, and add it on in thicker strokes to build up colour.

daprincessnora Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 9:05am
post #13 of 18

Sorry i meant to say wilton gel colors,
Will look up for the powder colors though i heared that they're even better on flowers by thier own without dilution

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 18

I usually do my painting with Americolor Airbrush colors. Love that they are already thinned down. icon_smile.gif

sarragaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarragaj Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 11:27am
post #15 of 18

Your cakes are amazing

nuzhat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nuzhat Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:21pm
post #16 of 18

AI use powder colours mixed with either quick dry essence or almond essence. Hope this helps. For a shiny finish, I use lustre powder. Hope this helps

slinkee45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slinkee45 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 18

WOW!

You are truly an artist and I am very impressed! You should share your techniques on You Tube. 

Slinkee45

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 18

You can also use cocoa butter as a base and paint with that.  In that case, the cocoa butter 'sits' on top of the fondant and gives a much more vivid colour usually :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%