Tardis Cake Advice Please

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm by flamingobaker

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 3

As a favour, I'm making my friend's son a Tardis Birthday Cake. Birthday is on Saturday and the cake is being collected on Friday. When I practiced doing this cake, it was a complete disaster as I couldn't get the cake to stand up or get straight edges. Anyway, I thought, I would have one more try and so baked the cake yesterday (chocolate) and torte & filled it today and the cake is actually not too bad. It's standing up and the edges are more or less straight (although, I haven't covered it with sugarpaste yet). I wanted your advice on whether I could use this cake for the actual birthday or if it's too early and should start all over again. I want to do cake decorating as a business eventually and have mentioned this to my friend so want to do a good job and give out a good impression. I don't know if this cake will be ok until Saturday. I would like to cover it and decorate it by Wednesday or Thursday as if I'm not happy with it, I'll have time to make a simple cake and stick some Dr Who creatures on it. I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you,

2 replies
HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 3

Any opinions on this?

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 3

I don't know what it is filled with, but I am leaning toward the opinion that it won't be at it's best by saturday. Sorry.
icon_sad.gif
I bake early in the week, but then I freeze til I am ready to fill and decorate.
How big/tall is your cake? You may need to think about putting the top half on a cardboard with some supports. Like a 2 tier cake but the tiers are the same size?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%