Need Help With A Gold Pearl Border

Decorating By DMJ69 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 11:56am by Elise87

DMJ69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMJ69 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:53am
post #1 of 14

I'm making my first wedding cake for Sat. and I'm having problems getting my fondant gold. When I searched the color charts it said 10 parts lemon yellow, 3 parts orange and 1 part Christmas red. I did that and it was more orange than gold.

I'm thinking I should paint the border with gold luster dust and vodka, but should I do that before placing on the cake or while it is on the cake.

I'm nervous about painting on the cake as some dust may get on the ivory fondant.

Could I mix luster dust in with the fondant, would that work?

I'm just getting really nervous now with the wedding on Sat. I just want the cakes to be great since it is for my youngest brothers wedding.

Any other tips you could give my would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Would it be safe to transport a 4 tier cake fully assembled. 12,10,8,6. I'm in the wedding and I only have 30 min to set up the wedding cake and the grooms cake before I have to get ready. My husband will be driving so I can sit with the wedding cake and my son will be sitting with the grooms cake.

Dawn

13 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 14

Since you are short on time, I would do as much as I coud ahead of time, like getting your pearls painted. Just put a pc. of wax paper between the pearls and the cake to a make a shield between the dust/cake. You can pull it out when done.

I really don't like to give advice on how many layers can be transported safely.... that really depends on your support system. Personally, I dont' like to take more than two together, but that's just me icon_smile.gif I know many who do take them all together and do fine.

As far as the gold fondant, I've always mixed lemon yellow with orange, but there are many shades of gold...

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 14

I love Americolor Gold gel. It's worth it's weight in... well, you know. icon_smile.gif It's very similar to Winnie the Pooh gold. Great as a base color for painting with gold luster dust.

I agree with Jennifer regarding the wax paper. Since you're mixing with vodka, you shouldn't have much of a 'dust' problem. But, if any dust does land on the wax paper, remove it or rub it into the paper before you remove it. That way, you won't risk having the dust jump off the wax paper and onto your cake.

Also, you don't have to kill yourself trying to paint every single exposed part of the pearls. Just paint as much of the front and tops as you can. You can stop when you're 1/8" or less from the cake. If you color your base fondant a gold color, no one will notice that the luster doesn't cover the pearls 100%.

DMJ69 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I love Americolor Gold gel. It's worth it's weight in... well, you know. icon_smile.gif It's very similar to Winnie the Pooh gold. Great as a base color for painting with gold luster dust.

I agree with Jennifer regarding the wax paper. Since you're mixing with vodka, you shouldn't have much of a 'dust' problem. But, if any dust does land on the wax paper, remove it or rub it into the paper before you remove it. That way, you won't risk having the dust jump off the wax paper and onto your cake.

Also, you don't have to kill yourself trying to paint every single exposed part of the pearls. Just paint as much of the front and tops as you can. You can stop when you're 1/8" or less from the cake. If you color your base fondant a gold color, no one will notice that the luster doesn't cover the pearls 100%.

Thanks, I never thought about using Winnie the Pooh's gold underneath.
As soon as I run out of all my Wilton colors I plan on trying out Americolor.
Also was afraid I would have to paint each individual pearl, you are right noone should notice if the base is gold.

DMJ69 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Since you are short on time, I would do as much as I coud ahead of time, like getting your pearls painted. Just put a pc. of wax paper between the pearls and the cake to a make a shield between the dust/cake. You can pull it out when done.

I really don't like to give advice on how many layers can be transported safely.... that really depends on your support system. Personally, I dont' like to take more than two together, but that's just me icon_smile.gif I know many who do take them all together and do fine.

As far as the gold fondant, I've always mixed lemon yellow with orange, but there are many shades of gold...

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Thanks for answering so quickly. I will definetly will use the wax paper so nothing gets on the cake.
If I had more time I would definetly not have the cake completely stacked. I figure with the center dowel and me being able to sit with the cake I should be ok-at least I hope

DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 14

What do you mean by "sit with the cake"? The absolutely safest way to transport a cake is to place it on non-skid mat on a flat surface.

Please do not hold it in your lap (which I don't think would be possible unless you have a convertible! icon_smile.gif ).

What is the diameter of the base board? Reason I ask is because with only 2-inch differential between tiers (which I call 'rocket shape'), the cake itself is not terribly stable. A nice, wide board would prevent tipping.

If at all possible, leave a length of the center dowel sticking up out of the cake and hold onto it during transport to keep the cake from tipping. You ABSOLUTELY MUST wear a seatbelt! icon_smile.gif

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 14

If I understand correctly you are doing a gold pearl border. Are you using a pearl mold? If so, brush the pearl dust into the mold before you press the fondant in and when it comes out, all you have to do is apply it to the cake. No painting it on icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewgratefulquilts

If I understand correctly you are doing a gold pearl border. Are you using a pearl mold? If so, brush the pearl dust into the mold before you press the fondant in and when it comes out, all you have to do is apply it to the cake. No painting it on icon_biggrin.gif

If she was using pearl dust, this would work beautifully. However, since she's using gold luster dust, this technique increases the risk of gold specks landing on the cake, dontcha think?

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 14

Oops. Guess I didn't read closely enough icon_confused.gif

Cancel my previous post.

BTW Diane, thanks for the link and info on how to make loopy bows!

DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:

Oops. Guess I didn't read closely enough icon_confused.gif

Cancel my previous post.

BTW Diane, thanks for the link and info on how to make loopy bows!

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 14

You can also make the pearls, let them dry a few minutes on a foam pad, then put them in a container with the dust and shake them up gently. I've done that before with pink pearls on a white cake and there was no dust falling off on the cake.

DMJ69 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:50am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

What do you mean by "sit with the cake"? The absolutely safest way to transport a cake is to place it on non-skid mat on a flat surface.

Please do not hold it in your lap (which I don't think would be possible unless you have a convertible! icon_smile.gif ).

What is the diameter of the base board? Reason I ask is because with only 2-inch differential between tiers (which I call 'rocket shape'), the cake itself is not terribly stable. A nice, wide board would prevent tipping.

If at all possible, leave a length of the center dowel sticking up out of the cake and hold onto it during transport to keep the cake from tipping. You ABSOLUTELY MUST wear a seatbelt! icon_smile.gif

I will not be holding it on my lap. I will be placing in on a 16" base with non skid padding under the cake tier and under the base. I will be sitting next to the cake. I do like the idea of leaving the center dowel longer so I can hold onto that. That is easy enough to cut when I get there. The reception hall is 25-30 min. from my home so I don't have to far to travel.
I just wish I could have delivered the cake an hour earlier so I could just put it together there.
It was a battle with the coordinater to get in at 1:30, at least he finally gave in.

Thanks for the idea of leaving the dowel longer.

DMJ69 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:53am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

I am using the pearl mold from first impressions. Unfortunely the Michaels by us only has luster dust, so not to get anything all over the cake I thought painting it would be best. I will probably use a light dusting of the luster dust in the mold just for easier release.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:56am
post #14 of 14

yeh i have done what texas_rose said about putting the pearls in a container with the gold dust and gently shaking, i did that and they came out nice and gold icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%