"tastings" Advice For Cafe Owner?

Business By three_sets_of_twins Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm by LaBellaFlor

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:33am
post #1 of 6

Hello ladies.

There is a cafe in our local mall here, one of the best malls in town actually if not THE best, that is opening up next month. The owner contacted me lastnight and was wondering if I would be interested in being her dessert provider for her cafe, where she would order a couple of different cakes from me two or 3 times a week. (dessert cakes, cake balls)

Well I'm interested. If it's going to be just a cake or two a week. And I'd love to just be able to tell myself and customers that I'm the provider for this cafe!

She would like to taste my work along with her friends and family, so what I suggested to her was that I give (sell) her a bunch of my cakes, cheesecakes in mini form, and give her a cake ball and cookie assortment.

She will be taking the cakes with her back to her home to taste. Any tips to make it "wow" and extra impressive? I was thinking to add some plastic forks and knives wrapped up in pretty napkins...maybe some tea bags with my logo on them to go with the muffins....any other ideas?

Also, if we decide to work together, any tips or advice to keep me from getting screwed over? I've never done anything like this before. Would asking for some recognition of my work in her shop be asking for too much? like a small sign or something that says " red velvet cheesecake- made my three sets of twins"?

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

My red flag went up as soon as she said she was taking this home. If she wants to do business, the tasting should take place at the the business, or if it absolutely has to be at her home, she should be asking you to bring them over so they can taste, then talk business.

I'm an extremely suspicious person, and it sounds more to me like you're providing free cake for her family party.

I won't say that you should not do this, but I truly think you should proceed with caution on your side.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 6

::stands right over there by Theresa::

Sumptins' not right here. Also, make sure you have the correct license to wholesale. It might be a different license than what you need to sell direct to the consumer. Also, make sure your insurance covers this.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

Hello 3, this caught my attention because I do work for local cafes. I agree with pw/s you have to be there so you can guild them through sizes, shapes, likes and dislikes. Meet anywhere that is convientant with the one who is buying and she can take left overs to her friends if need be. Yes, you have the right to let the consumers know it is your work. Set up a payment schedual of monthly or weekly.

Wow them with taste and you, you being reliable, clean and willing to work with a start up cafe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 6

I have always been against doing a tasting thru a drive-thru window. ("Here's my cakes! Let me know what you think! Bye!")

They are not just TASTING your cakes. This is your opportunity to sell (1) yourself (2) your business, and then, and only then, (3) your cakes.

I talked to a birthday place about cakes once. I took in about 6 cakes. We lined them up on a table and the staff/owners/employees came over to taste them. It was a group feedback, lots of discussion, etc.

If she wants her family to help her decide, then her family should show up at this BUSINESS MEETING to help her with her BUSINESS decision.

But a "give me some cakes so I can take them home and I'll call ya later" ranks right up there with "the check's in the mail". icon_rolleyes.gif Sometimes it is .... sometimes it ain't!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

What Indy said. You know what concerns me about this? I know you've had trouble with people not wanting to pay your prices, so I just wonder if she want free or cheap desserts for her family. I find it to be real strange that she wants to take them home. I hope I'm wrong, cause this would be great for you. Just be careful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%