Smith Island Cake

Decorating By deb33 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 6:45am by andpotts

deb33 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 3

ok so my family is from the Eastern shore of Md and the popular cake there is the Smith Island Cake.

http://www.smithisland.org/cakerecipe.html

It comes in a lot of different flavors like banana, and this year i wanted to do a thanksgiving themed cake that was pumpkin flavored. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to make the banana cake and i could just tweak the recipe to pumpkin, OR if someone can help me out and has some ideas on different things i could do to that recipe that could make it pumpkin!!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #2 of 3

Find a recipe for pumpkin roll and use the recipe from that. It's going to be the easiest for you to use.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

andpotts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:45am
post #3 of 3

Ooh Smith Island Cake! So good!! I and all of my guests were so impressed when I made one of these. I went to college in Rhode Island and one of my friends was from Md and her mom would send us Smith Island cakes, we thought they were good, but we had no idea how lucky we were! Years later the only thing I've had that was anything like it was Doberge cake a specialty of New Orleans, it's not really the same taste wise, but all of those layers, so pretty.

Ok sorry for the novel, but I finally made my own S.I. cake and like I said it came out really good. I followed directions Bakerella posted awhile ago, she broke it down and made it so easy, it worked perfectly! (I didn't pour frosting, just spread a thin layer between each layer, I didn't want it to be crazy sweet) I will include a link to her tutorial and a recipe for my FAVORITE pumpkin cake. Good luck and please post pictures, they are sooo magnificent looking with all of those layers. I wish I had a picture of mine, but I plan to make many more in the future thumbs_up.gif
P.S. I used Wilton cake release in my 12 tin pans and the layers didn't stick at all!

http://www.bakerella.com/fourteen-for-the-fourteenth/

Potts Pumpkin Layer Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups pumpkin puree (I sometimes add more)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (to top, optional)

Directions:
Combine sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Sift dry ingredients into separate bowl; Stir into egg mixture, beating well.
Stir in pumpkin puree.
Pour batter into two prepared 9-inch round layer cake pans. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.
Turn out onto racks to cool.
Frost pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting
(Optional) Sprinkle with chopped pecans

Yum, yum and yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%