The Danger Of Doing A Cake...cheap

Business By momma28 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm by cylstrial

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 6

So a couple of weeks ago I agreed to do a cake for a Tim Hawkins Show (very popular christian comedian). The pastor of the church venue had seen my cakes and loved them. I LOVE Tim Hawkins as do my kids and hubby so I wanted to do the cake so I could meet him and get to see the show. I agreed to do the cake basically for free tickets (which turned out to be a free cake that I got paid to deliver an hour and a half away, I know what your thinking, did I mention my best friend is the kitchen manager at this church icon_redface.gif I left my spine at home that day) I loved the cake, Tim Hawkins loved the cake, my kids and I loved the show and the church staff who ate some of the cake RAVED about the cake and how amazing it looked and tasted. All good right???

Well fast forward. I get a call today from a member of that church. Having a huge gathering to celebrate the adoption of their two sons. The pastor recommended me, said the cake was amazing in taste and appearance (aww shucks icon_biggrin.gif ) I ask her how many people...100 + the entire church is invited on top of that, but they want the cake to serve 100 or just over. Want it to be stacked..ok gotcha...You know where I am going with this dont you? When I asked what her budget was (just had a feeling) she said $50. Nope that is NOT a typo! I said My stacked cakes START at $3.49 a slice for basic flavors, fillings and decoration. She was horrified, tried to be polite but she had NO intention of spending that much. I said that my ingredient load would be higher than $50 and that is without turning on my oven, decorating or deliverng (1.5 hours away!) Goodness people even walmart charges $138 for three "tiers" unstacked. She said she would talk to her husband and get back to me if they decided to go that high.

The moral of the story, every cake is an advertisment for your business. They are an example of your decorating and baking skills. They are also an advertisment for what people can get from you. Do a cheap cake and you WILL get cheap referrals. Oh well, at least my kids and I (hubby was workingicon_sad.gif )peed our pants laughing watching Tim Hawkins that night! icon_lol.gif

5 replies
kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

So true !

I am gonna use the line " without even turning on my oven " good one { sorry dunno how to quote ha,ha }

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim62808

So true !

I am gonna use the line " without even turning on my oven " good one { sorry dunno how to quote ha,ha }

Yeah, when people ask me about a "Duff" cake, I tell them up front, "They start at $150 and that's before I even pick up a pencil to find out what you want."

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim62808

So true !

Yeah, when people ask me about a "Duff" cake, I tell them up front, "They start at $150 and that's before I even pick up a pencil to find out what you want."

My sculpted cakes start at $120 and go up from there. I tell people that is an 88% discount on Duff's starting price. What a deal they are getting!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

I LOVE IT! That is exactly what I'm gonna say if someone ever complains about my 3D cakes start at $150. "Well it is an 85% discount from Duff's price!"

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I LOVE IT! That is exactly what I'm gonna say if someone ever complains about my 3D cakes start at $150. "Well it is an 85% discount from Duff's price!"

LOL! You and Indy are too funny! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%