Closed Box Fondant Cake-What's Your Method?

Decorating By sewgratefulquilts Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm by sewgratefulquilts

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 5

If you're doing a square cake and want it to look like a closed box, do you cut 4 panels for the sides, 1 piece for the top, and then 4 more pieces for the box top part that hangs over the sides of the box? If so, how do you get those seams closed and looking smooth???? I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean. Maybe if someone just tells me how they do it.

A cake like this one

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/gift-box-engagement-cake-2-2008-12-09.htm

I tried one but ran into all sorts of problems so I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

4 replies
diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 5

If you have some time before making the cake I recommend ordering this DVD by Sharon Zambito. Worth every penny.
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Boxes_and_Bows.php

sewgratefulquilts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 5

I have plenty of time as I have already attempted to make one of these but was not happy with the results. I would love to be able to get the DVD and many of the others on her website. I told my husband about it this morning so maybe it will be under the Christmas tree.

Thanks for the info.

Here's the cake I made. The only picture I took was from the front where I was able to hide the corners.
LL

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 5

I dont understand why you werent happy with the results, that cake is really beautiful icon_smile.gif

sewgratefulquilts Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

You think that because of the angle of the photo.

I didn't think through what I did for the box lid. First I covered the entire cake in fondant. Then I cut a square 2 inches larger than the cake top. Well, when I put it on the cake, the points at the corners went down the corners of the base (like a triangle extending down the corner). I just let it stay that way since this was a favor I was doing for my daughter-in-law's mother. I also covered up the 2 front corners with the ribbon.

I've tried to imagine that if I cut a square again, how would I shape the corners so I wouldn't have that "triangle" going down the corners of the base. Couldn't figure it out so I need to do this differently.

Thanks for the compliment. I was very happy with the gumpaste roses and with the bow. Best bow I've made and so easy. I followed Edna's video instructions online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%