Pirouette Cookie Cakes

Decorating By Zamode Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:32am by Zamode

Zamode Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

It's been about 3 years since I did one, anyone have an idea of how many I will need to go around an 8" cake? They are fragile and I know last time I bought two containers but don't remember how many I used. Is there a cheaper brand, I think maybe Target has one, than Pepperidge Farms?

Has anyone shaved them down to make the height even?

8 replies
overindulged Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 9

I used 2 cans for a 9" cake, but I cut them in half since I had a short (2 layer) cake.

heddahope Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 9

Not sure about how many, but I saw an off brand in the Dollar General the other day. I don't what the taste difference would be but they sure were cheaper.

ceshell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 9

Pepperidge Farms ones are expensive! I saw the off-brand in the 99c store too, and I guarantee I will buy those if I ever need them again. Who cares what they taste like? If you are putting them around a BC cake, the part touching the icing gets a little soggy anyway. I look at them as decorations - if they taste ok, that's great, but the main event is the cake.

Shaving them down is easy and definitely makes the cake look nicer. Be sure to use a serrated knife and a gentle touch!

KathysCC Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:03am
post #5 of 9

Sam's has these in a large container for around $7.00, plenty to go around a cake.

sweettooth88 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 9

I did a 9" round the other day and it took 2 containers. They were so expensive next time i will have to look for the off brand.

mazz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 9

I cut my cookies when I make my cakes. I have one posted in my photos. Once I did one leaving the cookies whole and it was huge and unattactive to me. If you do cut the cookies they are very messy so put something like a towel underneath to catch some of the crumbs.

Hope the advice and the picture helps

__Martha__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 9

I found a very inexpensive substitute at a little Italian grocery store and they were great.

Zamode Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all! I will look for the substitute brands. Yes, mazz, it looks much better to cut the cookies, nice cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%