Caramel Frosting That Crusts

Baking By Temptations Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm by cherrycakes

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

I've had a request for caramel frosting on a cake that I'm going to decorate. Does anyone have a good crusting caramel frosting recipe? Thanks much.

8 replies
Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 9

I'm looking for a caramel frosting recipe as well - everyone I've seen has been an Italian buttercream - which invloves egg whites and seems like a pain in the a** so I've never bothered to make it...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 9

Can you make a basic buttercream recipe (salted butter, shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla) and then before you add any milk, pour in some caramel sundae topping? (Or even homemade caramel, I'm sure).... I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Then if its still too stiff, add a bit of milk.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 9

Never done it with my crusting buttercream recipe, but I've added caramel Lorann oil to fondant before.

I use creme bouquet and butter vanilla emulsions in my buttercream; I'd probably try just replacing the creme bouquet with Lorann oil.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 9

Kitagrl, I had the same thought on using the sundae topping. Any thoughts as to if it's ok out at room temperature? I see it says to refrigerate after opening, but am thinking it will be ok with all that powdered sugar. Thanks!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

I've made a pretty decent caramel flavor using regular buttercream with caramel/vanilla coffee creamer. I also had some caramel syrup that I've not tried yet. Also, I make a really good hot fudge icing (recipe from CC) that uses ice cream topping and it has no problem at room temperature, except that it stays pretty sticky...it can be decorated on with no problem.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

I just made a cake with my regular buttercream (Wilton's recipe) and added some caramel ice cream topping (recipe is also Wilton's) and I would never use it again! It did taste delicious, although very sweet, and would probably be okay for a filling, but NOT to frost a cake with. It would not stay on the cake. It just kept drooping down the sides. I even scraped it all off and added an extra cup of ps to stiffen it up. It held for a little longer, but was still sliding down. I would not recommend the caramel ice cream topping! Good luck with your cake!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 9

This is my recipe:

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp. milk or cream
1/4 cup butter

Put in saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool.

Add 1 1/2 cups icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Add more milk/cream or icing sugar until spreading consistency.

For a 8" 2 layer cake I usually make 3 or 4 recipes. I can smooth it with Viva but you have to be careful because it can crust rather quickly so too much manipulating can result in cracks.

I usually use this with a lemon poppyseed cake - it's one of our family's favorite combos!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, here's a picture of a cake with the caramel icing. As you can see it's not perfect but the taste is amazing!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%