Camo Question

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 12:17pm by niccicola

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 20

How do I get the camo fondant look? Would it work to twist together the 3 or so colors and then roll out? I have a request for this but only 2 tiers.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/photo/6/deer_cake_0.jpg

19 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 20

honey that looks airbrushed to me?!

Polkadot79 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 20

Yes, I kinda thought so too, but....no airbrush here, so have to improvise. Any suggestions?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 20

Yeh I was gonna say it's airbrushed too. You could roll those colors together, but I wouldn't twist them. Twisting is going to give you a different look. I would put discs or circles of the colors up against each other, then roll them all with a rolling pin. That way your edges will blend together a little, but won't look tie-dyed or messy.

Polkadot79 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 20

I will try that. I do not want a messy look. I'm actually a bit nervous about this...wondering if I need to just say no.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:35am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

...wondering if I need to just say no

Noooo!! Don't give up! Just try a little "experimental" section first with the method that HarleyDee mentioned. Don't forget...use plenty of PS! You'll have to press kind of hard on the rolling pin to roll these sections together so they don't seperate when you pick it up to put it on the cake. Then when you're pleased with the look and your ability to do it (because I know you can), do the whole cake!!! thumbs_up.gif PM me if you have questions okay?

HarleyDee Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 20

Yes, definitely experiment with some smaller pieces. Overlap your discs a bit befor eyou roll them out to keep them stable and prevent gaps.

Go on and try it on some smaller pieces really quick, we'll wait icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 20

I did this with buttercream, just squirted the different colors next to eachother and then smoothed with a paint roller

If you're wanting to do it in fondant, I'm wondering if you could just call all the pieces out individually if you want a "true camo" look, if you want it more blurred and rustic like the photo you attached then what about marbeling the lt. tan with the cream (looks like that's what they did for the back ground) and then instead of airbrushing the dk. brown and green...what about using some petal dusts and brushing it on with a dry paint brush?
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 20

http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/SmoothCamoL.jpg

here is a cake where they just marbled the fondant colors to get camo...........looks pretty good. Darker green would get the effect across better, but I'm sure that's the color they were after for this cake!

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 20

I used rolled buttercream for my son's army tank cake. I just put different sized globs of the different colors near each other and then rolled with a rolling pin. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1461565.html

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 20

I did a camo cake and painted the whole thing. It didn't take long at all! I just covered with white fondant and started painting. It's in my pictures. Hardest part is getting your colors right!! Goodluck!!

Polkadot79 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'm still taking it all in and trying to decide what route I'll go. I think my biggest drawback is that I really don't like making really masculine red-necky (not sure that's a word icon_biggrin.gif) cakes...and I have 2 coming up. I guess I just have to accept the fact that people are going to request them since I live in south GA.

HarleyDee Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 20

I know how you feel, I'm in Alabama. I just keep reminding myself, it pays the bills icon_smile.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:18am
post #14 of 20

Exactly. At this point of building my business, I can't afford to turn anyone away.

HarleyDee Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #15 of 20

Honestly though the picture you posted is a really nice cake. I don't think it looks red-necky at all. It's just a nice, woodsy cake.

Polkadot79 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #16 of 20

It is better than some. I love fall cakes, but the camo... icon_rolleyes.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 20

Since the cake is more of the tree and not army camo, I'm thinking about starting with a tan/gray colored fondant base (maybe a mixture) and then painting/dusting with petal dust to soften the look.

Would luster sprays have the same effect as air brushing? I should be able to find a brown one because I really like how the leaves have been used in the air-brushing process to create pattern/shadow of a leaf.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm
post #18 of 20

Here's the other thread going on about camo cakes right now. It's a tutorial that JammJenks created.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-659223.html

Polkadot79 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 20

Here's how the cake turned out pre-deer topper. Ironic thing is that the wedding was called off. I found out 5 hours before delivery. Oh well...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1541139

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:17pm
post #20 of 20

Sharon Z. just covered this on her blog

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/fondant-camo-hat.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%