Baking With The Ball Pan

Decorating By Kel1222 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:09am by FlourPots

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

I baked a cake with the Wilton soccer ball pan this weekend. It baked so unevely and I was afraid of it burning on the outside while it was still pure batter in the middle. As an afterthought, I realized I could have used a flower nail as a conductor. Is that really big enough? How do you bake evenly using the ball pan? Help.... icon_redface.gif

3 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 4

The flower nail is big enough. You just need to make sure to spray it generously with Pam first before putting it into your batter.

So I fill my pans with batter, make sure they're resting evenly on the 'metal feet' so that I don't end up with a lopsided cake, then put the flower nail in with the flat side going in first and the nail sticking up.

Good luck for your next try!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

I bake at 325, it takes like an hour for the cakes in that pan, and I fill it almost 3/4 way.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

After a few failed attempts and some help from fellow members, this is what worked for me. (I can't stand that pan, btw)

Two flowers nails, filling only half-way with batter, homemade bake-even strips to combat the crispy edge problem, and placing a pan of water on the rack below in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%