Baking With The Ball Pan

Decorating By Kel1222 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:09am by FlourPots

Kel1222 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

I baked a cake with the Wilton soccer ball pan this weekend. It baked so unevely and I was afraid of it burning on the outside while it was still pure batter in the middle. As an afterthought, I realized I could have used a flower nail as a conductor. Is that really big enough? How do you bake evenly using the ball pan? Help.... icon_redface.gif

3 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 4

The flower nail is big enough. You just need to make sure to spray it generously with Pam first before putting it into your batter.

So I fill my pans with batter, make sure they're resting evenly on the 'metal feet' so that I don't end up with a lopsided cake, then put the flower nail in with the flat side going in first and the nail sticking up.

Good luck for your next try!

vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

I bake at 325, it takes like an hour for the cakes in that pan, and I fill it almost 3/4 way.

FlourPots Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

After a few failed attempts and some help from fellow members, this is what worked for me. (I can't stand that pan, btw)

Two flowers nails, filling only half-way with batter, homemade bake-even strips to combat the crispy edge problem, and placing a pan of water on the rack below in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%