First Timer Needs Bucco Tips!

Decorating By edervi Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm by Texas_Rose

edervi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edervi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

This is the short...

2 year old birthday Sunday. Elmo cake. I have a 9" spring for non stick. Decorating tips (grass, stars, round, etc.) And 3 4 1/4" cake pans from wilton.

I'm using the 9 for the face. The 4" for the eyes and probably the nose. I'm carving them so they can be proportioned.

Any great tips on how to make Elmo look like he's going to come alive.

I've seen elmo cakes on this site and some are great and other...well I don't want to repeat.

Thanks so much.

First caker

5 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC
bucco lol love it
try rkt covered in fondant/gumpaste 50/50 for his head or any other part that you want to come alive HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

Hi and welcome!

When I've tried to bake cake batter in a springform pan, it's too liquid and seeps out the cracks. So if that's what you're using, put it on a cookie sheet before you bake it, just in case.

If you have some tiny bowls like custard cups those would be good for making the eyes, or the mini wonder mold pan would probably work too.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Welcome to CC
bucco lol love it
try rkt covered in fondant/gumpaste 50/50 for his head or any other part that you want to come alive HTH

by parts I mean arms, legs, hands

edervi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edervi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

Well I'm not making the whole body. I am not that ambitious. Just the face. I want it all edible that why I"m using cake for the eyes and nose too. I did do a half *ss trial run cutting the eyes and nose. It looked pretty good. But my other concern which I forgot to ask is....I want to torte it. Just one filling. I'd like a moist cake somewhat dense. And a filling that's not too sweet.

Oh and a stable buttercream recipe for decorating, but it has to have butter in it.

Is this too many questions?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

You were't kidding when you said you had beaucoup questions icon_biggrin.gif

I like to use the WASC recipe that you can find in the recipe section here. You don't have to make it almond-flavored like the recipe, you can substitute another extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%