My Kitchen Will Never Be The Same

Decorating By FullHouse Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:32am by PinkZiab

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #31 of 43

the airbrush/compressor i use is one that is made for doing model cars. it doesnt have a lot of pressure behind it. it wouldnt even blow the dust off of glassware. lol. but for doing cakes it has just enough umph behind it to get the job done.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #32 of 43

I use a Grex XT airbrush (thanks Loucinda) with my Airmaster (red) compressor. I attempted to download/upload/load of some nature the airbrush cabinet pictures with no success. Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to send them to you.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #33 of 43

1. GREX TS-3 with the regulator attachment
2. Badger Cyclone 2 - max. 20 PSI
3. I usually do cakes at about 3 or 4 PSI
4. very little overspray - never on the floor, usually a few inches around the turntable where I am working (I use a 3 way folding cardboard for behind the cake)

For those that aren't able to regulate their PSI - I highly suggest you get one of the attachments that GREX sells that allows you to adjust it right at the gun. I can take it down to nothing right there at the gun.

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #34 of 43

airbrush is definately off my christmas list now,im so clumsey i would need to build an extension on my house to use it lol

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #35 of 43

I don't regret buying it. I wish it wasn't so messy, but honestly, I HATE having to knead dark colors (red, royal blue, black) into fondant. Oh, and the Pearl sheen spray is amazing.

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #36 of 43

I don't regret buying it. I wish it wasn't so messy, but honestly, I HATE having to knead dark colors (red, royal blue, black) into fondant. Oh, and the Pearl sheen spray is amazing.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #37 of 43

I use my airbrush on almost every single cake I do, if not to add color then to add the pearl airbrush color to the cakes makes everything so silky and pretty looking! I get a LOT of stinkin sheet cake orders and the airbrush saves me LOADS of time that I don't have to mix a bunch of colors etc. LOVE IT!!!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #38 of 43

The first time I used the canned spray, I made the same mistake. Blue spray everywhere. The second time I used it, I took it outside on the picnic table covered in newspapers.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:29pm
post #39 of 43

If you were going to make a habit of airbrushing, I would say by all means have a booth. But, for part-timers like me it's not worth the expense. And I also had the blue spray up the nose thing. Sorry to be so graphic.

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #40 of 43

I'm sorry you had such a tough time but am soooo glad you related your experience to us CC'ers. I just bought an air brush and haven't had time to use it yet. Thank you for the heads-up! thumbs_up.gif

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #41 of 43

yup, the first time I did an airbrush cake in my kitchen downstairs, I went to take a shower in the upstair's bathroom that night and the water ran blue down the drain, I blew my nose for 3 days, yup, blue snot! wiped down the counters and more blue, toilet yup, blue, 1 year later, we moved and I was wiping down a bedroom wall, yup still blue! needless to say, we now spray in a box, in the garage and all of the doors are closed. I have taken it outside to spray before a couple of times. and still get colored snot every time.

FullHouse Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMae

I'm sorry you had such a tough time but am soooo glad you related your experience to us CC'ers. I just bought an air brush and haven't had time to use it yet. Thank you for the heads-up! thumbs_up.gif

That's what is so great about this site. We can learn from each others' experiences and not have to make all of our own mistakes. I'm so glad I posted this, have gotten a lot of good advice as to how to avoid it happening again. Thanks everyone!!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #43 of 43

I've never had these issues... I don't even spray inside of a box or booth. I wear an all-white chef's coat and apron, so I would definitely see if the color was getting on me! lol Even at home I spray things right on the dining room table (which has a cream carpet) and have never had an issue.

I keep the pressure fairly low on my compressor (unless I'm going for an effect that requires something higher) and use a good airbrush that has a well-controlled (adjustable) precision spray nozzle and that pretty much keeps all of the color going where it's directed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%