My Kitchen Will Never Be The Same

Decorating By FullHouse Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:32am by PinkZiab

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 43

I was so excited to use my new airbrush, I put DH's car cake in a large box turned on it's side and went to work painting it red - THREE coats. Well, that was Sat., I'm still wiping red off my granite and finding more areas that are now tinted with a pinkish film. icon_cry.gif My ENTIRE floor, a window sill in the nook over 15 ft away. We have an open floor plan so I can only imagine how far it has reached. UGH!!! The guy at the airbrush store said I shouldn't even bother with a booth icon_mad.gif , I can't even imagine if I hadn't used a box. Machine is now in my garage and DH is going to build Earlene's box for me.

42 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 43

OH dear! That is a nightmare.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 43

Ooohhhhh yes!icon_smile.gif
I remember one gal saying she had a 2 story house and all white furniture and she found red spray on the upper floors! icon_sad.gif

FullHouse Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 43

The UPPER floors icon_surprised.gif ??? OMG, I can't imagine how this stuff travels so far, if only cleaners would work so well. I'm so lucky my DH isn't mad at me, all he did was offer to build me a space in the garage, no comments whatsoever. I have to admit I would not have been nearly as nice if the situation had been reversed. icon_redface.gif Hopefully this post will help others avoid the same mistake. I still don't understand why the airbrush guy told me it was no problem to use in my kitchen and not to bother buying a spraying booth.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 43

Yeah, my husband made me put mine in the basement when I got it........I've only used it once, (haven't had it long), but even in the basement I could see it in the air when I sprayed...........geesh............
I need a box or booth or something.......

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 43

As I know nothing about the airbrushes, do you wear a mask??

FullHouse Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

Yeah, my husband made me put mine in the basement when I got it........I've only used it once, (haven't had it long), but even in the basement I could see it in the air when I sprayed...........geesh............

I found this link on another thread: http://www.earlenescakes.com/AirbrushCabInst.html . DH says he will build that, np. I love the fact that I didn't have to knead all that red coloring into my fondant and I really like the shimmer spray, but what a hassle. Even after I've wiped my counters with 409 a million times, the paper towel still comes up red. I don't think it will ever be completely gone. To say nothing of my curtains, the baby swing, and my carpets & furninture in the adjoining rooms, ugh.

FullHouse Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips

As I know nothing about the airbrushes, do you wear a mask??

I didn't at first, and was blowing my nose red for the rest of the day icon_lol.gif . DH gave me a painting mask to wear, pointed out that the fumes cannot possibly be good for me. I figured since it's food coloring it would be fine. Earlene's link mentions that you should wear a mask.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

I found this link on another thread: http://www.earlenescakes.com/AirbrushCabInst.html . DH says he will build that, np. I love the fact that I didn't have to knead all that red coloring into my fondant and I really like the shimmer spray, but what a hassle. Even after I've wiped my counters with 409 a million times, the paper towel still comes up red. I don't think it will ever be completely gone. To say nothing of my curtains, the baby swing, and my carpets & furninture in the adjoining rooms, ugh.

Thanks, I'll have to show that to my hubby!!!!! Oh, man, I'm sorry you have to deal with all that red!!! And I DID wear a mask, but I also wear reading glasses (caking glasses) and they kept fogging up!!!! icon_confused.gif
So, other than doing this outside, what's a girl to do?????

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 43

Have you tried using the clorox kitchen/bath spray cleaner? It has a little bleech in it, so it may help get rid of the red better. By the way, your husband is a saint, cause just like you said, if it was my husband I wouldn't have been so nice either. icon_wink.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 43

<------ crossing airbrush off my Christmas list icon_sad.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

<------ crossing airbrush off my Christmas list icon_sad.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 43

My DH made Earlene's cabinet when I first bought an airbrush. I've now graduated. I bought one unit of a kitchen lower cabinet and the counter top for it. We put it against a wall and added plywood sides to it. I had the electrician install a light and bathroom fan in the ceiling above the cabinet. I then bought the curved shower rod and installed it as close to the ceiling as possible. Then I bought yards of frosted vinyl (easier to work with) and made a ceiling to floor 'shower curtain' and hung it on the rod. I then took remaining vinyl and made a sort of awning that was stapled from the ceiling and hangs over the open area of the shower rod (it really does look like an awning).

The inside of the unit--I stapled foam core boards onto all of the walls. I bought a bundle of newsprint paper (you can also use examining table paper) and lined the counter top. I push pin paper onto the lower part of the walls. When it's all a mess I remove one layer from the countertop and replace the paper on the walls.

No overspray; no mess. You MUST wear a good respirator mask. Think about it. If you find the overspray all over your house; you're inhaling it too.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 43

I found red in EVERY single room of my house for MONTHS after the Spiderman cake I did......I mean EVERYWHERE! I don't ever plan on airbrushing red anytime soon....or ever! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

My DH made Earlene's cabinet when I first bought an airbrush. I've now graduated. I bought one unit of a kitchen lower cabinet and the counter top for it. We put it against a wall and added plywood sides to it. I had the electrician install a light and bathroom fan in the ceiling above the cabinet. I then bought the curved shower rod and installed it as close to the ceiling as possible. Then I bought yards of frosted vinyl (easier to work with) and made a ceiling to floor 'shower curtain' and hung it on the rod. I then took remaining vinyl and made a sort of awning that was stapled from the ceiling and hangs over the open area of the shower rod (it really does look like an awning).

The inside of the unit--I stapled foam core boards onto all of the walls. I bought a bundle of newsprint paper (you can also use examining table paper) and lined the counter top. I push pin paper onto the lower part of the walls. When it's all a mess I remove one layer from the countertop and replace the paper on the walls.

No overspray; no mess. You MUST wear a good respirator mask. Think about it. If you find the overspray all over your house; you're inhaling it too.

Sounds wonderful. Can you post a picture/pictures of it?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #16 of 43

What are ya'll using? icon_eek.gif

I have an airbrush and never have any of these issues! do I have a dud?

I do agree a mask can be helpful but I rarely have the color in my nose. At first I did but not so much any more. I don't get a lot of over spray and it's a breeze to clean up. I am so surprised to read this. Sorry about all the red everywhere, that has to be a pain!

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

What are ya'll using? icon_eek.gif

I have an airbrush and never have any of these issues! do I have a dud?

I do agree a mask can be helpful but I rarely have the color in my nose. At first I did but not so much any more. I don't get a lot of over spray and it's a breeze to clean up. I am so surprised to read this. Sorry about all the red everywhere, that has to be a pain!

I have a Pausche VL with a Central Pneumatic Oiless compressor (40 psi w/regulator). This was the 1st project I used it for. I sprayed the cake board black Fri. and had a little bit of a mess, but only on the surrounding countertop - I hadn't even used a box that time, just newsprint held up behind it. The red is just everywhere, yards and yards away from the spray area.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #18 of 43

You must also be very careful walking from the kitchen tile to the carpet as the soles of your shoes are picking up color. Or, you can do what I do and put on a pair of old socks and 'dry mop' after airbrushing. Grrr....

I, too, have an open floorplan and have found color upstairs MONTHS after a project!!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:30pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.

Does Earlene's cabinet still not contain the mess well? We were planning on setting that up in the gargage. I'm not as worried about the immediate area, but there are things we have in there that I don't want covered in food coloring.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:10pm
post #21 of 43

I don't have that much of an issue with mine. (thank goodness!) Do you all have a regulator that you can adjust the pressure on the compressor? You don't need a lot of PSI to airbrush a cake. Mine makes a bit of a mess on the SS table - but I have very little overspray at all.

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 43

Let me say that I haven't airbrushed a cake yet but My ex and I had an Autobody shop for 15 years. I have painted fenders and doors.

You might want to lower the air pressure. That might help with the overspray. If your compressor doesn't have an air pressure regulator, you can buy one to put on it. I think you might be able to find one at the place you got your air compressor or at a Lowe's or a Home Depot. You should wear a mask. Make sure you have proper ventilation. It may not be automotive paint, but you don't want it floating around in your lungs either. A window with a fan in it should work fine. The fan will draw the over spray away. Don't give up on airbrushing. It's a wonderful tool.

Well, that's my two cents. I hope it helps.

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #23 of 43

Thanks! I do have a regulator, I have it set to around 18-20 psi. Should I lower it? TIA.

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 43

Try it out and see how it does. One good thing about cake decorating is that our trial and error experiments are so darn tasty. lol.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #25 of 43

I have a airmaster and depending on how hard I push on the nozzle that controls the spray, no dial on my compressor.......but I airbrush all the time. Generally I just stick a piece of foam core up behind the cake and airbrush away. I do have to wipe down the counter I'm working on when I'm done, but I never thought it was that big of a deal. I don't get THAT much overspray anyhow and I am NOT careful. I do however need to get a mask!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #26 of 43

My airbrush hardly ever comes out for the same reason, I am fed up with cleaning up the entire house afterwards. The thing that gets me about it is the time it takes for all the colour to settle. You clean up and wash the floors, just to come back a couple of hours later and discover your feet are picking up colour from the floors again. That colour just floats around in space forever.

I tried to do it outside but it is so humid here most of the year that combined with the moisture from the airbrush my cake just melted, so not really an option for me.

Shame my hubby is not DIY inclined, so if I want an airbrushing cabinet I am going to have to build one myself.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:16pm
post #27 of 43

40 PSI is way too much pressure! Most of the time I am airbrushing cakes at around 3 or 4 PSI.

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #28 of 43

Loucinda, I had my 40 compressor regulated to 18 or 20, I guess I should turn it WAY down.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 43

I think it would be interesting to find what brand airbrush and compressor everyone has, what the psi is and whether or not they get a LOT of overspray

I'll start

1. brand of airbrush
2. brand of compressor
3. psi (if able to change, what the range is)
4. is there a lot of overspray??

1. Iwata, w/ a little cup on the top for the color
2. Kopykake Airmaster (it's lit. grey)
3. don't know the psi, it's regulated w/ how far I pull back on the airbrush lever
4. I don't notice too terribly much overspray, just generally within 2-3 inches of the cake I"m working on.

FullHouse Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #30 of 43

1. Paasche VL double action siphon feed, also has opt of little silver cup on top for small amts
2. Central Pneumatic 40psi w/regulator
3. 18-20 psi (will be lower next time)
4. red picked up on paper towels from all over my 20x24 kitchen and I'm sure in the rest of my house too with red when cake was sprayed in a cardboard box. Overspray just on island when used black no box just newsprint held behind.

*edited for typos. Not easy to type while holding a newborn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%