Why I Will Never Be A Cake Snob

Decorating By CeeTee Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 12:56am by jlsheik

CeeTee Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 34

Today a co-worker brought in a cake to share with us for her birthday. It was baked by her mom and her four year old son did the icing and decorating. It was straight up box mix baked in a Pyrex casserole dish. It was loosely iced with canned chocolate icing, and coated with a random assortment of sprinkles and gummi bears. "Hapy Berthday Momma" is scrawled across it in hot pink pre-made tube icing.

It's one of the most beautiful cakes I've ever seen! icon_biggrin.gif Not even the grandest fondant creations or award winning scratch recipes can compare to the awesomeness of a box cake topped with gummi bears and Love.

And honestly, I -never- want to become the kind of cake snob who would think this kind of a cake is sub-par or ugly!

33 replies
Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 34

I don't think anyone -- especially those of us who are parents -- would actually think a cake made by a child is sub-par or ugly.

Spuddysmom Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 34

Honestly, I don't think there are any "cake snobs" here. In teaching a very small class of autistic kindergarteners, I decided it would be "fun" for everyone to bake and decorate their own cake to take home. What an incredible challenge - had to draw a picture first of each step along the way..."pick up one egg" "crack the egg" "open egg" "stir" etc. We all had a blast especially when it came time to decorate which was basically grab all the sprinkles you can and dump them in an overflowing pile. Afterwards, they paraded through the entire school showing off their masterpieces so super proud! Most beautiful cakes I ever saw.Ever.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 34

Thanks. I'm getting emotional just reading this. You're going to wreck my reputation as a beeotch.

I think your story is one worth repeating every chance you get.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nicholle Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 34

every year we have cookie decorating party at my house and i love to see the kids with thier creations and they are always so proud of themselves. I take pictures and hang them up the next year! I help only when asked and always tell them how great they look

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 34

Is that not the cutest thing you've ever heard! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I don't think anyone -- especially those of us who are parents -- would actually think a cake made by a child is sub-par or ugly.

icon_confused.gif Yeah, I'm a cake snob, and proud of it. icon_biggrin.gif But I know dang good and well a cake created by a beautiful little child for his mommy is priceless. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Exactly. Cake made by a pro versus another cake made by a pro, and a cake made by a child...well, there is nothing to compare it to.

FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 34

Yeah... I'm a proud cake snob too and wouldn't dream of calling a cake made by a child ugly or sub-par. You'd have to be a cold, heartless bitch, not a cake snob, to think something like that.

CeeTee Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Yeah... I'm a proud cake snob too and wouldn't dream of calling a cake made by a child ugly or sub-par. You'd have to be a cold, heartless bitch, not a cake snob, to think something like that.

I wasn't thinking so much of it as being from a child only, but more of not ever becoming so full of myself that I no longer can appreciate something homemade by someone regardless of skill. The cake was simple and honest, and sometimes I think that can get lost when one starts doing cakes either as a hobby or professionally.

I know I've been guilty of being thinking certain ingredients or ways of doing things are the only "right" things, or I become obsessed with making a cake "perfect". This cake just reminded me that it's not always about having a flawless picture perfect creation when expressing yourself.

GenGen Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 34

how cute icon_smile.gif you should see some of the ones my boys have made for me using store frosting and mix and decorated with candies icon_smile.gif they are my favorite memories - the boys had fun making it and i even got smiles when i took pics of them with the cake icon_smile.gif

sugalips Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 34

One of the best Mother's day gifts I ever received was a home made cake from my kids when they were small. Complete with finger prints, fresh dandelions and pretty rocks!

FromScratch Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 34

My mom makes me a cake every year... box mix with her powdered sugar buttercream and rainbow nonpareils... and I love it! (and most know that I am a rather avid mix non-liker)

I do get what you were saying though... icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:45am
post #14 of 34

I must be president of the Cake Snob Club, but that story is really cute.

I would, however, never actually EAT any food prepared (or decorated) by a child.

FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 34

Well... I wouldn't go that far. At 6 yrs old and almost 9 yrs old, my kids are pretty up (and always have been) on food prep safety, but they have grown up cooking with me. Wash hands... no touching your body... if you get your hands dirty wash them again... taste with a spoon and don't re-use it... but that's what you get when your momma used to cook for a living... LOL.

all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 34

He's not exactly a child (he'll always be my baby brother though)...raised in family(extended family too...) of pretty much all women and he wasn't allowed in the kitchen most of the time except to eat/snack.

One year, after I'd been married, moved away and had at least a few kids...he brought me a cake on my birthday that he made all by himself....sheet cake that stayed and got iced in the pan..."it ain't as pretty as the ones you make..." he starts out to say ...I'm bawlin' and blubberin' (holdin' 'em back now) he gives me a big ol' bear hug "...but it's all your's..." That was the most awesome cake I'd ever seen or tasted! He'd even made my favorite...lemon!

There's no comparison...

Spuddysmom Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

He's not exactly a child (he'll always be my baby brother though)...raised in family(extended family too...) of pretty much all women and he wasn't allowed in the kitchen most of the time except to eat/snack.

One year, after I'd been married, moved away and had at least a few kids...he brought me a cake on my birthday that he made all by himself....sheet cake that stayed and got iced in the pan..."it ain't as pretty as the ones you make..." he starts out to say ...I'm bawlin' and blubberin' (holdin' 'em back now) he gives me a big ol' bear hug "...but it's all your's..." That was the most awesome cake I'd ever seen or tasted! He'd even made my favorite...lemon!

There's no comparison...

Awww, that one really got me! It sounds like most of us actually are cake snobs when it comes to what is supposed to be a professionally decorated cake. Perhaps a more appropriate title for this post is "Why I'll never be a cake jerk" - and there are only a couple of folks around here that would ever qualitfy.... icon_rolleyes.gif
Your brother sounds like the sweetest big ol' teddy bear!!

chefjess819 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:32pm
post #18 of 34

regardless of age, when someone makes a cake for someone else (box or mix), it's always from the heart. i am always making the cakes for everyone's birthdays in my family and when my own birthday rolled around this year, my mom made me a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie cake from scratch decorated with squiggles of melted chocolate and extra chocolate chips. my favorite cake. "not half as pretty as the ones you make" is what i got from her. it made my day. icon_lol.gif

tallgood Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 34

If it were my first son, I would eat it dirty hands, germs, hairs and all, then tell him he made the most wonderful cake in my world. He died when he was 5 years old.

I visited my second son last year in Beijing and saw a lot worse at street side vendors!

Love sees with the heart!

cakelady31 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 34

AWWWWWWE!!! I love to check out other cakes when I am at a function or event , but never considered myself to b a cake snob. One of my favorite cakes I received was from my girls, when they were small. Before I started my business, I always , like many of you , made all the cakes for friends and family. Well on my birthday one year my girls presented me a cake they made themselves., still in the 9x13 pan,frosted with canned frosting and a tall, taper candle from the fireplace mantel stuck right in the middle of it !!! I LOVED IT! of course and will never forget that. My favorite kind of cake, made with love. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #21 of 34

So what exactly is everyone's definition of cake snob anyways? I was thinking more about this, and wonder if I really am. Here is how I am (maybe?) a snob.

I insist on using the freshest ingredients in all recipes, and never bake from a box. But, I don't knock those who do, not my business.

I insist on having sharp crisp edges on my buttercream, and bumpless, flawless fondant. And I won't let something out the door that is anything less.

I am constantly scanning the competition and making sure I am doing whatever I need to put out a better looking product. Don't know what their's tastes like, but again, not my business.

I invested a pretty penny to have a website designed and professionally maintained, with flash and good photography.

When someone asks why I am so much more than the "chick down the street", I explain confidently and without hesitation "I use expensive gourmet ingredients, and am meticulous with my decorating and assembly."

I guess I just decided to be the upscale caker in my parts. Something wrong with that? Isn't it a good thing to want to excel and be the best of the best, and be able to stand out from the rest and be able to back it up?

And it doesn't need saying, again-a cake in any form made with love by anybody for another loved one is priceless and couldn't be compared to anything professionally done. If my little guy ever bakes me a cake, it will have a place of honor front and center on my site. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #22 of 34

In the professional realm of cake decorating, I would consider myself a snob when it comes to looks...so much so that my own cakes don't make my grade. When it comes to taste, my cakes definitely measure up. I look at others' cakes(the ones that put them out there to be compared ..."My cakes are the best!" posted anywhere near your site/cakes/bakery/whatever will definitely prompt me to critique them. If you have exhorbitant prices attached to your cakes, it will prompt me to critique them...of course, the critiquing is to myself unless someone asks me directly or indirectly for my opinion) and size 'em up. If you boast you're the best, better damn well be!...I don't mind others looking at my cakes and tasting them and critiquing the heck out of them...I know they taste good and they are decorated to the delight of the recipients...I don't boast I'm the best, my customers do though icon_smile.gif

Jamie, there is not one thing wrong with wanting to be the best of the best...

I think everyone can say that snobbery flies out the window when a loved one makes you a cake

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #23 of 34

Oh yeah....I know most people get it. I was just thinking more about how "cake snob" and cake made by a child even have anything to do with each other....and, whatever, I'm probably rambling by now! icon_biggrin.gif

kim62808 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #24 of 34

My 2yrs and 4 months child has been watching me bake since birth so now this kid actually knows how to add in my vanilla , butr , almond , milk , ect.... it's funny he walked up to me grabbed the cup out of my hand and tippy toed to reach the bowl and pourded it in ,, so ya I would eat his cakes lol ... {ps I wash his hands almost every 5 min lol }

He has his own seperate stuff ,,like my old stand mixer { not working } and spatula ,, watch out ladies !

I love all cake scratch and box ,, I get what your saying as well icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #25 of 34

Yikes, I wasn't meaning to offend anyone! But since I came up with the title, I guess I should define what I think a Cake Snob is.

To me, a Cake Snob (Jerk/Creep/Appropriate Synonym) is someone who crosses the line from Confidence and Professionalism to Egotistical and Snooty. The kind of person whose first reaction upon seeing -any- cake which is not one of theirs is to wrinkle their nose and think/say "I can do SO much better". They really do believe that any baker who uses a box mix/pre-made icing/certain brands of fondant have no skill or aren't a 'Real" baker, despite what the Snob might say otherwise. Snobs are masters of the Backhanded Compliment. They smile and appear gracious when presented with a gift of cake or cookies, then toss it in the trash the moment the person isn't looking.

A Snob would have looked at the gummi bear cake, said "How Cute!", then refuse when offered a slice because they wouldn't be caught dead eating a box mix cake, regardless of who made it or what the occasion is.

----

Everything you describe Jaime I would not call Snobbery. That all falls under Professionalism in my book. When you are running a business you'd be setting yourself up for failure if you didn't!

Me? I am so totally in the "Hobbyist/NON-Professional" box. I have high standards of quality and taste, but they still fall way short of the kinds on standards one would need to make a living off it. I do cake competitions, but what wins me ribbons is NOT my marks in Technique. I'm like an impressionist painter...my cakes are beautiful and creative from a distance but a big ol' mess when you get close. icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #26 of 34

Aww, CeeTee, ya didn't offend me girl! I just thought about it more, and was thinking, where are these cake snobs? But thinking a little more....and I couldn't put a finger on what a cake snob was. And started confusing myself. Not hard to do. icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, your definition of a cake snob, would be more like cake bit*% in my book!

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm
post #27 of 34

Then I must be a serious cake snob, cause I won't eat everyone's baking just cause they want me to. I only eat what I like & I have no problems politely saying no thank you or excepting a gift and not eating it. I don't think that's being mean, but if it makes me a snob, yup, sure am.

costumeczar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #28 of 34

Then call me a snob too, because I won't eat something that doesn't taste good to me, regardless of whether it's cake or not. If it was my kids I wouldn't have the problem, though, because I've taught them how to bake a good cake icon_wink.gif

Especially chocolate...The biggest disappointment is thinking that you're going to eat some really good chocolate and it turns out to be some cheap junk. icon_cry.gif Well, I'd probably eat it anyway, but I'd complain about it while I did!

costumeczar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #29 of 34

But I do have to say that anyone who would say something nasty about a little kid's cake is probably a creep.

kimmerly1966 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #30 of 34

That is so sweet!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%