How Do I Get A Suede Texture?

Decorating By dezzib27 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm by dezzib27

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

I did a search but nothing came up. I saw a post about getting a velvet texture and it mention spraying cocoa powder on the cake but I am more than a little confused on how i would do that. I do have a small air brush but I do not know how that would work with cocoa powder. I need this cake by Friday so please any advice will help!!! I am doing most of the work on Wednesday since I will be off of work..........

12 replies
dezzib27 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:10am
post #2 of 13

did I mention it is pink suede? HELP!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:17am
post #3 of 13

The times I have seen chocolate being sprayed onto a cake it was not cocoa but melted chocolate and it was being sprayed with a regular spray painter like you would use to paint your house. You can "sponge" royal icing over fondant and get a similar look. Just dip a crumpled paper towel in thinned RI and pat on the cake as light or heavy as you wish to get your desired effect. Those are the only two methods that I know of.

dezzib27 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 13

I was thinkn about trying the royal icing one. Melted chocolate? Could I use white Chocolate and tint it?

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 13

That would probably work. Experiment - have fun and let us know how it works.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 13

What about tinting powdered sugar pink. Just add some colour until you have the required colour, let dry (or use powdered food colouring) and then break up clumps when dried. Then you can sift over your cake for a velvet look.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 13

There's a lot more to it than just spray-painting chocolate. Temperature and consistency have to be maintained, and then there's the pita of having to clean the sprayer out when done. Chocolate down the drain can clog your pipes.

I don't know who makes it, but there's a spray in a can that is already prepared for this. Maybe someone else here knows the name.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 13

how about going over royal icing with a coarse roller? let the ri partially dry so it doesnt stick to the roller too much.

BakingGirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 13

Are you thinking of the Preval sprayer playingwithsugar? It is a can of pressurized air with a canister attached to it, which you can fill with whatever you want to spray. You can buy it at places like Home Depot and it is great if you don't want to clog up your airbrush. I am aware it is not a food grade product in case anyone wants to point that out to me.

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 13

No, I do not mean the Preval. I have Prevals, and use them to spray dusts. Using a Preval with melted chocolate is not feasible. The gas is cold when it comes out, and will harden the chocolate back up.

I learned this technique in school. It's not for someone with no experience in chocolate, nor is it worth learning or struggling with if you do not plan to use it on a regular basis.

I know there is a product out there, that is already mixed, in a spray can, that provides texture. I do not recall them making it in pink at the time. I was introduced to it a couple of years ago, but I cannot recall who makes it or sells it. I did not keep the information, as I knew I would never have a use for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 13

Good point about the chocolate hardening up with the introduction of the gas, I had not thought of that, not that I had ever considered putting chocolate in the Preval sprayer. Like you I keep it for dusts. The product you are talking about sounds interesting!

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 13

I hope someone else sees this and can add the name of the product here. I do recall that it's not cheap, and I think it's imported.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dezzib27 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 13

Well if the spray is expensive that won't work I'm not charging enough for this cake to go overboard. I will experiment with the RI and post pics later this week. Thank u for all of the info and. Please keep it coming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%