How To Make These???

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 1:17am by all4cake

lkoenig07 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 12

I attached a picture of some pieces from a game my nephew loves. We were going to put them on cupcakes for his birthday. I can't think of any good ways to make them though (and I'm not that good with fondant that I could just make the 3D figure of it). Any other ideas? I was thinking we may have to do them not 3D - just flat??

11 replies
msulli10 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 12

You can try chocolate clay. There should be a recipe for it on here. It's melted chocolate with karoe syrup. You can mold it into any shape and then when it hardens a bit you can do some sculpting with a tool and get all the ridges.

all4cake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 12

The first product on this page is sold at Michaels...with a good coupon should be inexpensive...aaaaaaaaaand quite doable before the weekend

some instructions...there are other how-tos too

all4cake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 12

the first product on this page seems PERFECT! I don't know who carries it though...Michaels or hobby lobby may....aaaaaaaaaaand they're fda approved for use with food!

all4cake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 12

you can go here

to find out who, if anyone, near you, carries it.

leahk Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 12

another site that a cc'er just told me abt is [url][/url] their product is cheaper ($22 for a pound) and they have great videos and tutorials!

all4cake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 12

2/3 lb for $20(like 19.96 at michaels ...use the coupon available at when you sign up or in your sales paper should you be one of the lucky ones who get them...and it's half of that...without shipping charges and if you have a michaels in your area, instant gratification icon_smile.gif )

PattyT Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 12

What about Chocolate Transfers? I love them for cupcakes & cookies, and they can be made ahead. These characters look like an easy outline.

You can look up the characters on Google for the artwork. Put it in PowerPoint or word or similar and size to cupcake sizes (about 2" give you good size without having to work too small). Copy and paste till you have filled a sheet.

Print out (in "mirror" if it matters to get the reverse). Tape to a cookie sheet, cover with parchment and tape that down too. Outline with black or white, put in the eyes and details and let dry for a bit. Then fill with either yellow or black. Let dry longer. Peel them off, flip over and stick in the frosting!

Edited to add: Outline and fill with chocolate melts...

all4cake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 12

PattyT, those are great! I loooooove the bumble bees!

totallycaked Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 12

I am so going to get that mold putty stuff today! New toys for me.. yeah!

PattyT Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 12

THANKS all4cake! I appreciate that. I've really come to like making them and use them a lot now.

Except for my most HATED transfer...that blue Viking/Robin Hood thing. Mascot for my two nephews high school. They graduated a year apart so I had to make them twice....argh. Two different bluee, moustache, feather. wavy hair......told my SIL no more "Hermits".

all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #12 of 12

Totallycaked, if you get the opportunity, and you're going to Michaels, would you check to see if they have the pourable one? Kits&Name=Amazing Casting Resin Kit

This was the link I meant to insert into the above posting "...seems perfect!..."

PattyT, that one looks difficult! They look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%