...make My 3-D Apples So They Won't Flatten On The Bottom

Decorating By kjskid Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm by tonedna

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 18

I am planning a cake with a few 3-d apples made out of fondant or fondant/gumpaste on the top. My question is, how do I set them up to dry so they won't flatten out on the bottom. I did some 3-d pumpkins, and they flattened, but they were the little pumpkins that already look squashed, so it was ok.
Thanks!

17 replies
DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 18

The only thing I can think of is to get some styrofoam and put as many toothpicks as there are apples and then place the apples on the toothpicks to dry. That way, they are suspended and won't have a chance to flatten. Also, if the bottom of the apple will be down when it's put on the cake, then no one will ever see the hole from the toothpick... I don't know if that's the best way, but it's what I would probably do! HTH!

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 18

I take a container and put powdered sugar in the bottom and place the figures in that so the PS molds to the bottom and doesn't deform what I'm working on. HTH icon_smile.gif

kjskid Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabakes

I take a container and put powdered sugar in the bottom and place the figures in that so the PS molds to the bottom and doesn't deform what I'm working on. HTH icon_smile.gif

But doesn't that leave them all dusty-powdery?

bellabakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 18

Yea but I always just brush it off or paint it with some vodka to get it off. I suppose if you didn't want to do that you could maybe put plastic wrap over the PS container, just be careful the plastic wrap doesn't leave marks in the fondant? not sure about that part... I haven't had a problem with not being about to get the PS off before.

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 18

I love that PS in container idea.... will be trying that myself today! Yepee! Thanks!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:

I do the same thing, but with corn starch... works like a charm!

kjskid Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:

Yea but I always just brush it off or paint it with some vodka to get it off. I suppose if you didn't want to do that you could maybe put plastic wrap over the PS container, just be careful the plastic wrap doesn't leave marks in the fondant? not sure about that part... I haven't had a problem with not being about to get the PS off before.

Thanks, I'll try it! Now I have to hope I can get it to look like an apple.... icon_confused.gif

bellabakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Thanks, I'll try it! Now I have to hope I can get it to look like an apple.... icon_confused.gif

And if it doesn't, you can just tell everyone its a fancy new type of apple they don't even know about yet.... shhh.gif

kjskid Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for all the advice, it turned out pretty good!

kjskid Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 18

Oh no! I just looked at my apple, and it's flattening. And since I didn't think it would flatten at all, I put it on its side. I tried to kinda round it back out, but the fondant's dried enough that it's cracking.

Any other ideas? I'm trying to make the apple life-size out of 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. It won't stay up on a toothpick, just slides right down.

bellabakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #12 of 18

wow I didn't know you were making a life sized one! Thats pretty big to be made of all fondant/gumpaste. What about making it out of RKT first then covering it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #13 of 18

could you use styrofoam balls and cover with fondant.. this way .. they will be lighter.. and will dry easier.. since you are making them life like.. rolling your fondant/g/p into an apple shape.. takes a lot of the medium .. therefore making it heavier.. and hard to dry and keep its shape. just a thought .. nick lodge use this method for a pumpkin on one of his cakes and tutorial.. hth... in americancakedecorating magazine....

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #14 of 18

The only thing I can think of is your fondant/gumpaste is too soft. Maybe add more powered sugar to make it stiffer. Also, what kind of fondant are you using. Homemade? If so, make sure you let it set overnight so it firms up.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:41am
post #15 of 18

I would let them dry on a skewer over styrofoam
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #16 of 18

I dry heavy pieces on a 3 to 4" thick piece of upholstery foam that I purchased at Joann fabrics. The foam "cushions" the piece instead of flattening it out and it's porous enough that it allows the fondant to dry. (My piece of foam is about 12" x 12".)

kjskid Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

wow I didn't know you were making a life sized one! Thats pretty big to be made of all fondant/gumpaste. What about making it out of RKT first then covering it?

LOL! I actually never thought of it. Duh! I think I'll try that next, it's a great idea. Won't the fondant be bumpy when you cover it, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

It slid right down the toothpick. Would a skewer work better?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Quote:

LOL! I actually never thought of it. Duh! I think I'll try that next, it's a great idea. Won't the fondant be bumpy when you cover it, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

It slid right down the toothpick. Would a skewer work better?

No wonder they sliding down!...I didnt know it was life size either!..I think I would go with the rice crispies instead. I think at that size the gumpase will flaten unless you have a lot of support for it. Definitively a skewer wont be enough! icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%