Red Velvet Cake - More Choclate?

Baking By Meg147 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm by delisa01

Meg147 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been asked if the RVC can be made more 'choclatey'! Being a newbie, I tend to do exactly as it says on the tin! Would adding, say an extra tablespoon of cocoa affect the texture? And I've scoured the internet and found that some use beet or red wine vinegar for colouring - I wouldn't be keen on using either, but what about red wine - or is this too heavy?

5 replies
ski Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:30am
post #2 of 6

I generally make mine more chocolaty anyway, simply add more cocoa or chocolate syrup, if it looks too brown add more red coloring

cakenutz Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 6

A real red velvet cake was never intended to be chocolatety. Thats why they use so little If you want to make it so I would take out flour equal to the amount of cocoa you want to put in. Or make a light choc cake and just add red food coloring HTH

jammjenks Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

A real red velvet cake was never intended to be chocolatety. Thats why they use so little If you want to make it so I would take out flour equal to the amount of cocoa you want to put in. Or make a light choc cake and just add red food coloring HTH

This is what I'd do.

Suzycakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:14am
post #5 of 6

I agree with cakenutz on the cocoa - - -

but I would NOT recommend putting red wine in a red velvet cake recipe - and I certainly can't imagine using red wine vinegar or beet juice either and I know the recipe calls for a small amount of clear vinegar - but I don't believe I would use a flavored vinegar. I suggest you just use the red food coloring. The recipe that I use calls for 2 small bottles of red food coloring - but I just use one and refill that bottle with water and pour that in the mix - sort of rinsing out the bottle - and my cake comes out just like my aunts original cake!

Suze

delisa01 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

This is my favorite RV recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

It has a nice light cocoa flavor.

But to answer your question. I don't think that adding 1 Tablespoon of cocoa to your recipe will affect it negatively. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%