Will This Topper Look Okay?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 1:44am by tatorchip

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #1 of 19

What do you think of this as a topper...it's the same size around as the top tier will be.

I don't know what the rest of the cake will look like yet, the person I'm making it for didn't have any preferences other than girl colors.

18 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:56am
post #2 of 19

Looks to me like it'll be very pretty on top. I think it's okay if it's the same size as the top of the cake. It makes it look very grand that way.

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 19

It's not very tall, only about two inches. Will that look weird?

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 19

How sweet!

Try the topper flat on the cake. If it doesn't work for you that way, make a fondant base and slightly lean it against the base, then look at it again. This will give you the perspective as to whether it's too short or not. Personally, I don't think it will be.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 19

I think it looks very nice and I agree with putting some fondant underneath if you need a little height or lean it against the base.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 19

Texas_Rose did you make the topper, it is beautiful

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 19

I did make it...was going to make a crescent moon with a baby sleeping in the curve, but that just wasn't happening for me.

I take terrible pictures, you can't see the texture of the blanket or the stitch detail on the bear. My new camera was supposed to make pictures come out better, instead it turns out I can't hold still long enough to take a nice picture. I think I had better luck with my cell phone camera.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 19

I love it, you and your beautiful roses. The baby is adorable I can see a lot of the details, outstanding

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #9 of 19

I think it's beautiful.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #10 of 19

Texas_Rose did you use gels or gels and dust

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #11 of 19

On the rose I used pink and yellow (not gold) wilton dusts on white gumpaste. The details on the baby and bear were drawn on with fine point markers.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #12 of 19

I just noticed the little foot awwwwwwww, can't wait to see the cake with this topper. I can't get the markers to work good like that, I think I have a heavy hand or something. I tried it on scrape. I just think this is one of the best toppers I have seen with the rose.

Rylan Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #13 of 19

I love it. I love your roses, the petals reminds me of Ron Ben Israel's work.

GI Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #14 of 19

It is indeed a darling topper. I would try as suggested above and propping it up a bit to give the viewer a different look and movement.

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

I just noticed the little foot awwwwwwww, can't wait to see the cake with this topper. I can't get the markers to work good like that, I think I have a heavy hand or something. I tried it on scrape. I just think this is one of the best toppers I have seen with the rose.

What kind of markers are you using? Food color or crayolas? 'Cause I'm using crayolas icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Wait until the gumpaste is totally dry too, otherwise the marker will drag through it.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #16 of 19

I was using food color markers, hummmm that is more than likely the problem, thanks I try those

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:29am
post #17 of 19

Crayolas are cheap too, about two dollars for the box of ten colors. I don't use them on anything that will be eaten, but they are non-toxic.

tatorchip Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 19

thank you for the advice, I will pick some up today

tatorchip Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:44am
post #19 of 19

I got the markers and tried it on my dried test fondant and it worked out great, glad you told me thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%