Vinyl

Decorating By arrianna Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 10:27am by Tee-Y

arrianna Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 12

I got a tip on here about using vinyl to roll your fondant on. I went to joann's today and picked some up, on sale, for $1.50. I am so excited. I was wondering though.......I was told that things don't stick as much but I was wondering what works best as a non-stick agent on it. Should I use flour, powdered sugar, crisco etc. What works the best? I can't wait to try out the vinyl. My next cake is this frida. woo whoo.

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 12

I use cornstarch, just dusted on very lightly with a pastry brush. Also, don't fold up your vinyl to store it.

arrianna Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #3 of 12

thanks for tip on not folding it. It is folded right now, but not for long. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 12

You can roll it up. I have two pieces, one that I leave on the counter all the time and another that's a backup...or I thought it was. I got the backup piece out the other day and I'd had it folded up and it had developed wrinkles that just won't come out.

arrianna Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:45am
post #5 of 12

I'm sorry. That is really crummy.

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:50am
post #6 of 12

Just an excuse to go back to Hobby Lobby icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 12

I hate to deal with dusts on fondant, so I just swipe a dab of crisco over the vinyl surface--no stick, no slip, no mess. I pick up the piece of fondant on my rolling pin and go from there.

Rae

Delynn Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:28am
post #8 of 12

I have a wilton dividing wheel mat which comes in the kit FOLDED (not a good idea), so Wilton says to put it in REALLY hot water for 5-10 min.(?) then lay it out flat under some books. One of my students tried it and the wrinkles all came out. I wonder if this will work for the clear vinyl too, since I bought some recently.

Mensch Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:56am
post #9 of 12

I don't use anything and never have a problem. Just flip it over on the cake and peel off the vinyl.

Bonnell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:09am
post #10 of 12

If the piece isn't too big pop it into the dryer on a low setting for about 5 minutes - voila` - no more wrinkles.

majka_ze Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:24am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

I have a wilton dividing wheel mat which comes in the kit FOLDED (not a good idea), so Wilton says to put it in REALLY hot water for 5-10 min.(?) then lay it out flat under some books. One of my students tried it and the wrinkles all came out. I wonder if this will work for the clear vinyl too, since I bought some recently.

Yes, it does work. I did it just yesterday. Put it in hot water - as hot as you can put your hand in it for a moment. You can wrinkle the vinyl while still in the water, but you need to unfold it when taking out - it does cool down very quickly. Put it on your countertop and smooth it out - it will hold on it and all the wrinkles will come out.

Another possibility is to "iron out" the folds. I did it this way - similar to previous method, put the vinyl on the counter best you can. In a pot, put hot or boiling water and move it over the vinyl. If using boiling water you need to move it fast because else you can glue the pot to the vinyl. But even very hard set wrinkles come out.

Tee-Y Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:27am
post #12 of 12

A very light coat of crisco is what I use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%