I Have An Idea, But Can I Do It?

Decorating By MammaG Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm by ElegantOccasions

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 21

I have two nephews with birthdays only 1 week apart, so we're doing something for both this year at the same time. I want to make a square 2 tier cake, and here is my idea:

one likes chocolate and one strawberry so make two cakes of each flavor
cut diagonal in half and use one half strawberry and one half chocolate so that when I put everything together half of the cake is strawberry and turn it around to get chocolate. Does that make sense? And then I'll decorate each side according to the boy. Is this possible? Would I just use buttercream to "glue" the two together? Thanks so much. I hope this can work because I think it would be really cool to do it.

So to make it a little more clear, it's like two cakes in one inside and out.

20 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 21

oh yes it sounds like a great idea, I did the same for a man and women (same birthday) one side girly girly and the other side hunting and fishing, I glued together with bc also and had no problems everyone loved it. Good luck

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 21

Cool! I really like this idea! The only thing I'd be worried about is the cake pulling apart. I think if you were doing a single layer cake it would be fine, but the weight of the second tier might cause a problem with the split down the middle. Hopefully someone with more experience will have some tips for supporting the cake.

Anyway, I hope you can do it. It sounds really cool! Post pics when you're done!

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 21

I think it's a really cute idea!! You should probably do a bc dam all the way around each half if you're filling them....that way your filling won't ooze out of the center.

MammaG Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:07am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake

I think it's a really cute idea!! You should probably do a bc dam all the way around each half if you're filling them....that way your filling won't ooze out of the center.

What is buttercream dam?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #6 of 21

A buttercream dam is used to keep the filling in a cake from leaking out the sides. It's just a thick ring of icing piped along the outside edge of each layer that will hold a filling. I learned about using a buttercream dam from CC, too. I tried it for the first time a couple months ago. I posted a picture of it here if you want to see.

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2009/09/first-time-torting-cake.html

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #7 of 21

this cake is very possible, but heres my concern. If you don't know what a buttercream dam is, this may be beyond your skill. Just a thought. you don't want to promise something and then not be able to deliver.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

A buttercream dam is used to keep the filling in a cake from leaking out the sides. It's just a thick ring of icing piped along the outside edge of each layer that will hold a filling. I learned about using a buttercream dam from CC, too. I tried it for the first time a couple months ago. I posted a picture of it here if you want to see.

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2009/09/first-time-torting-cake.html

letsgetcaking bravo perfect for showing how its done.
BTW my cake was a sheet cake and I just had to join the two ends, but you could use dowels to support your cake

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:04am
post #9 of 21

You can bake both flavors in one pan. Take a piece of card board and place it in the middle of the pan pour one flavor on one side then the other on the other side. pull out the card board. now you have both flavors in one pan and dont have to worry about them falling apart. Hope I explained it ok. good luck

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:22am
post #10 of 21

Ladyhawk's idea is great. I have done something like this, but I didn't use a piece of cardboard. I made up the two different flavors of cake batter and got someone to help me pour. We each started pouring our batters at opposite ends of the pan and they met pretty well in the center. It bakes up great just like one cake.

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawk1nlm

You can bake both flavors in one pan. Take a piece of card board and place it in the middle of the pan pour one flavor on one side then the other on the other side. pull out the card board. now you have both flavors in one pan and dont have to worry about them falling apart. Hope I explained it ok. good luck

I am so going to try this, thanks for letting us newbies know icon_biggrin.gif

MammaG Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 21
Quote:

Oh I like this idea a lot! That's what I'm going to do!! Thanks so much

BTW I haven't had any classes, so I've never heard of a BC dam. . .however I've used it often.

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:55am
post #13 of 21
Quote:

I havae done this also and it works out great!

nekotish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nekotish Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:13am
post #14 of 21

I did this for my twin daughters birthdays. It was fun and very well received.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1178528.html

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 21

Sometimes even when baked together, the line where the two flavors meet can separate because of different texture of different flavors. Just so you know.

Since the second tier will be well supported by dowels, straws, plastic colums, or such, the weight of the second layer should not affect the bottom layer. Sounds like an SPS moment to me!!!

Sounds like a great project. Have fun!

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 21

they had this one the food network challenge. there were triplets, and one of the cake artists did like a 5 tier cut into thirds. he covered each third seperatley and when he put them back together it looked like big slices. he didn't use anything to stick them back together...

cagirlygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cagirlygirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #17 of 21

Baking 2 different flavors in one pan sounds like a really cool idea. Though, if it were me, I think I'd do a trial run first. icon_confused.gif Cardboard + batter sounds like it might be a smidge tricky the first time.

Good luck and post some pictures when you're done! I'd love to see how it turns out!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 21

For the BC dam, Macsmom here on CC posted once she mixes in some cake crumbs to some BC to make a stronger dam. I tried this with a soft filling using bettercreme and it held up amazing! I did not have one blow out. So, that's my new way to do a dam.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 21

There's also a youtube video showing how to bake 2 flavors in one pan:

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-2-cake-flavors-in-one-pan

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 21

Sounds like a really cute idea! I recently did a wedding cake with 4 different cake flavors and 4 different fillings for the 'base' of the scene. I took a picture of how I put the base together and dammed it. I had fillings of all different textures from thick to thin. Hope this along with everyone else's advice helps out!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1508115&sub=1508118

ElegantOccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElegantOccasions Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #21 of 21

JGMB: That was a good link. Who woulda thought. I'll have to try it soon.
You guys are all awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%