How To Handle This Question Correctly...

Business By cakemeasIam Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 1:51am by CakestyleIN

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #121 of 267

I do not recall Indy or I saying, "Tatorchip you are a liar". I was speaking in general terms and in reference to the Cocacola comment. Really, nothing was directed at you.

Deb_ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #122 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly


The only people placing the "stigma" on mix bakers are mix bakers



I disagree. I think the only people placing the stigma on mix bakers are the non-bakers (cake muggles) who ask this question to bakers. If a potential customer asks this question for allergy reasons they would say so up front. For example, if my child had a nut allergy and I wanted to order a birthday cake, I wouldn't simply ask the baker if they baked from scratch or a mix...I would point out my child's nut allergy and make sure the baker could make me a nut free cake.




I think you're not giving your clients enough credit......there really ARE people out there that CAN tell the difference because they were raised on scratch baking like I was.

My DH was raised on mix baking, albeit BAD mix baking since his mother can NOT bake or cook anything successfully.....we've been together 31 yrs married for 26 of those and he is now a scratch man and CAN tell the difference.

If someone cared enough to ask the question chances are they have a good reason for asking it.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned do we ask bakers if their bread is from a mix....my answer to that would be when I pay $250 for a loaf of bread then I'll care enough to ask them that question.

I think that's the point.....when somebody pays me $100 for an 8" cake then they have the right to know that yes it is indeed from scratch...if they ask me.

tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #123 of 267

you talked about the trade secret thing like I was telling the op to lie trade secret was mentioned and rementioned

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #124 of 267

icon_rolleyes.gif

rosiecast Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #125 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s



And I recently lost an order because the bride insisted on finding a bakery that would bake and decorate her cake on the day of her wedding. She claims she found one. I think they lied. Since I don't know for sure, I probably shouldn't say that, but really, now. Same day? The cake tiers need hours to bake, cool and settle. Puh-leeze.




I can't believe you lost a customer over something so idiotic. ( I mean, I believe you when you say you lost her business) what I mean is: you want a cake baked the same day or else? Why? do people even know/care why they ask these questions? Wow!!

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #126 of 267

icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #127 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

I resent being accused of being one




When you find out who accused you, let us know. icon_confused.gif

DDiva Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #128 of 267

All I can say is that I must have the best customers in the entire universe!! I have never been asked the scratch or mix questions by anyone--including my family. The criteria here seems to be 'is it good'?; not how you made it. This is not a discussion I ever intend to have with a customer. Would they ask folks in a restaurant if everything was made from scratch?? Of course not. Do folks really think the desserts at Appleby's or TGIFriday's are made there? Oh that's right--the Sysco truck comes before lunch!!

Tee-Y Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #129 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

you talked about the trade secret thing like I was telling the op to lie trade secret was mentioned and rementioned




Tatorchip, I really think you should let it go.Your point has been made and those involved have said they didn't mean it that way.Let it go girl.

Deb_ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:33pm
post #130 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

And I recently lost an order because the bride insisted on finding a bakery that would bake and decorate her cake on the day of her wedding. She claims she found one. I think they lied. Since I don't know for sure, I probably shouldn't say that, but really, now. Same day? The cake tiers need hours to bake, cool and settle. Puh-leeze.




You know what's so crazy about that? I think my cakes taste better the second or third day after the fillings and icing have a chance to "marry" my cake layers.

Kind of like meatballs and gravy......they taste SO much better the next day or the day after that even. Homemade soup the same thing.

Anyone else feel that way about their cakes?

kaat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #131 of 267

What happened to the penguins? icon_rolleyes.gif

jennifer30 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #132 of 267

I make cakes from a box, doctored cakes and cakes from scratch. All my gumpaste and fondant is homemade. I've never had a complaint and i've never been asked if it was from scratch or not, in fact, i've had a couple orders that specifically ask for a certain cake mix. I personally don't like to work much with them as far as trying to sculpt or carve with them but i like to make my customers come back for more. If someone did ask...i'd tell them the truth. i'd rather lose a customer for telling the truth then a lot of customers for lying and getting caught!

indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #133 of 267

I love penguins! They are so fat they waddle and they don't worry about what everyone thinks about how they waddle! They never ask "Do these jeans make my ass look fat?"

I love penguins!

"It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry."
---Joe Moore

kaat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #134 of 267

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PuffCake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #135 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly


The only people placing the "stigma" on mix bakers are mix bakers



I disagree. I think the only people placing the stigma on mix bakers are the non-bakers (cake muggles) who ask this question to bakers. If a potential customer asks this question for allergy reasons they would say so up front. For example, if my child had a nut allergy and I wanted to order a birthday cake, I wouldn't simply ask the baker if they baked from scratch or a mix...I would point out my child's nut allergy and make sure the baker could make me a nut free cake.



I think you're not giving your clients enough credit......there really ARE people out there that CAN tell the difference because they were raised on scratch baking like I was.

My DH was raised on mix baking, albeit BAD mix baking since his mother can NOT bake or cook anything successfully.....we've been together 31 yrs married for 26 of those and he is now a scratch man and CAN tell the difference.

If someone cared enough to ask the question chances are they have a good reason for asking it.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned do we ask bakers if their bread is from a mix....my answer to that would be when I pay $250 for a loaf of bread then I'll care enough to ask them that question.

I think that's the point.....when somebody pays me $100 for an 8" cake then they have the right to know that yes it is indeed from scratch...if they ask me.




I do agree that some people truly prefer eating scratch cake over mix. But there are also a lot of people who have a perception that scratch is better just because of the cake mix stigma. As PPs have pointed out, a lot of people who say they prefer scratch actually choose mix during a taste test.

I took a cake to a PTO meeting a couple of months ago and a woman approached me with fork in hand and cake in mouth asking " This is delicious. Is it from scratch or a box mix?" I told her it was from a box and she replied, "It's really good. It doesn't taste like it's from a box at all". It was straight from the box...no doctoring whatsoever! So she clearly likes box cake even though she "thinks" scratch is better.

No joke, I have been asked this question 4 times and none of them have been potential customers. They have just been people who ate my cake, complimented me on its taste and then asked if it was scratch or not. In my experience with this question, it is being asked because they have a perception that scratch is better, not because they've done a taste test and truly prefer scratch.

I think for anyone who is asked the "scratch or mix" question from a potential customer, you first need to find out why they are asking and offer a tasting.

DeeDelightful Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #136 of 267

Wow, I read this entire thread. That was my Y & R for the day!
1. I didn't get the feeling anyone was called a liar
2. I've walked in an upscale bakery in my town, in search of a wedding cake, and saw the DH Vanilla cake mix sitting on the counter and the cake was awesome. Now that I bake cakes, I'm sure that my wedding cake was WASC and I loved it then and NOW.
3. I bake some cakes from scratch and many from doctored mixes. I like my dessert cakes (red velvet, german chocolate, carrot, etc.) to be from scratch. I will doctor a chocolate, white or yellow, because I too have found that's what a lot of folks prefer.
4. The one person that asked, i believe was just being nosey. I made her a white scratch cake and a doctored mix within 2 weeks and she liked both, equally, so she said.

springlakecake Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #137 of 267

I wouldnt lie. Just tell them you do use a cake mix that you doctor and you've always received rave reviews. If you lose a customer...so what. Better that then you having to deal with a complaint.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #138 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I love penguins! They are so fat they waddle and they don't worry about what everyone thinks about how they waddle! They never ask "Do these jeans make my ass look fat?"

I love penguins!

"It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry."
---Joe Moore




Please, Debi, penguins don't wear jeans.
They don't shop at The Gap.
Tux & tails only.
Co-me o-on.

icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #139 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I can truthfully answer yes my cakes are from scratch every part of them....I use mmf which I make and all of my fillings are also made by me.




I would consider that marshmallows used to make fondant would be a shortcut and not 'scratch' fondant.
And I'm not lying.

icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #140 of 267

hmmm...
LL

Deb_ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #141 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I can truthfully answer yes my cakes are from scratch every part of them....I use mmf which I make and all of my fillings are also made by me.



I would consider that marshmallows used to make fondant would be a shortcut and not 'scratch' fondant.
And I'm not lying.

icon_biggrin.gif




Don't think I haven't thought about trying my recipe for marshmallows in place of the bagged kind......I plan on perfecting that when I have "extra" time someday, IF I ever have extra time. Days seem to get shorter as I get older. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd like to try Michelle Foster's recipe for fondant too.

I don't get many fondant orders, especially all occasion cakes, my client base really doesn't like to "chew" their icing. icon_razz.gif Can't say that I blame them.

My own family peels it off.....

diane706 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #142 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

All I can say is that I must have the best customers in the entire universe!! I have never been asked the scratch or mix questions by anyone--




Ditto!!

Tee-Y Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:19am
post #143 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi



"It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry."
---Joe Moore




icon_lol.gif Except for the one in Batman!!!!!

Mike1394 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:29am
post #144 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I can truthfully answer yes my cakes are from scratch every part of them....I use mmf which I make and all of my fillings are also made by me.



I would consider that marshmallows used to make fondant would be a shortcut and not 'scratch' fondant.
And I'm not lying.

icon_biggrin.gif




Since I make my own MMs would that be scratch then? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:39pm
post #145 of 267
Quote:
Quote:

All I can say is that I must have the best customers in the entire universe!! I have never been asked the scratch or mix questions by anyone--including my family.




I said it earlier too, NEVER been asked. (although I HAVE been asked if I freeze my cakes, to which I HONESTLY replied no.) icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:00pm
post #146 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I can truthfully answer yes my cakes are from scratch every part of them....I use mmf which I make and all of my fillings are also made by me.



I would consider that marshmallows used to make fondant would be a shortcut and not 'scratch' fondant.
And I'm not lying.

icon_biggrin.gif



Since I make my own MMs would that be scratch then? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike





lol yes Mike I'd say it is!

After all it's not as if I take the actual marshmallow and adhere them to the cake....it does take a little work and skill to turn it into mmf. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #147 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly



After all it's not as if I take the actual marshmallow and adhere them to the cake....it does take a little work and skill to turn it into mmf. icon_biggrin.gif






Double standard, CakeBuddy, pure and simple.
Y'all can't have it both ways.

Becky52 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #148 of 267

Wow, thanks for the Tuesday morning entertainment! I HEART WASC icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #149 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly



After all it's not as if I take the actual marshmallow and adhere them to the cake....it does take a little work and skill to turn it into mmf. icon_biggrin.gif





Double standard, CakeBuddy, pure and simple.
Y'all can't have it both ways.




What's the double standard? Marshmallow, water and powdered sugar are ingredients in mmf same as flour, sugar, butter, eggs etc are ingredients in cake. I don't grow my own wheat and mill my own flour do you?

I don't BUY PREMADE fondant like Satin Ice and Pettinence or Wilton, I make mmf with 3 ingredients and flavorings. Period.

No double standard.

I never claimed to be a purest that grows my own ingredients and raises my own chickens for the eggs.

I never "claimed" to only bake from scratch because I don't like chemicals.....plenty others here have made that claim.

I bake from scratch because I can and because it's what I've been raised on my entire life.

If preservatives were an essential part of scratch baking I'd have no issue using them....but they're not and I don't.

It isn't a "double standard" just because you label it that Kate, you can label anything any way you want it doesn't mean it's so.

So yes I use store bought marshmallows in my mmf, just like I use store bought flour and sugar......so stone me, I can take it I'm a big girl.

cjford Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #150 of 267

I can say I have sat here and read almost all of this thread and found it to be pretty entertaining and at times funny! I started a cake decorating class last week and have to being a baked cake this week. I was originally going to use cake flour, but after finding the WASC recipe I have decided to use it and see how I like it. If I do, it'll be my recipe of choice. I just don't see the point in spending extra time and money if I AM okay with the taste. If someone ask, I have NO problem telling them it's a doctored cake mix. Some people assume they like 'scratch' better but they may not after they taste the two. Thanks again for the morning entertainment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%