Crumb Coating?

Decorating By TripleL Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 12:19pm by alene

TripleL Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

I am fairly new to cake decorating (decorating being more than slapping store bought icing on).

Someone mentioned something called crumb coating to me today. I was wondering if anyone here knew what it was and maybe could tell me how to do it?

I know it is probably a stupid question. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Also, thank you in advance for any answers.


4 replies
prterrell Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 5

A crumb coat is a thin coat of icing that you put on the cake to "lock" any cake crumbs in place. Once it is set, you do the final, thicker coat of icing. The crumb coat keeps crumbs from being in that final perfect coat of icing. Tonedna has a great tutorial on You Tube demonstrating this method.

TheBlonde Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 5

I second Edna's tutorial on YouTube. She is amazing!

TripleL Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:53am
post #4 of 5

Thanks You! I will certainly look for it in a few minutes. I want to learn anything and everything I can. icon_smile.gif

alene Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 5

Welcome to CakeCentral and the wonderful world of cake decorating. You found the right place for all your answers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%