My Co-Worker Wants Her Wedding Cake Free!

Business By Hebrard Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm by springlakecake

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa2745

She's like "since your a baker I thought you would like to donate these cakes for me." I

Me: (with this look on my face ----> icon_confused.gif ): "Huh! Why in the world would you think that?"

icon_twisted.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #32 of 67

wow...where do these nervy cows come from?

I only do free if I want to do free. I have done a number of free cakes - but not because some nervy cow demanded it.

I would bust out laughing I do believe if someone asked me that who wasn't like my best friend in the world.

Having said that...on December 21 I will be making a small tiny little wedding cake for my dear friend's stepson's wedding - it is free gratis because my friend and her husband are jewels. She wanted to pay - I said NO. It is a little tiny 3, 6 and 9 to serve 48 people. Dear friend then insisted on doing a ink drawing of my beloved horses. She wouldn't ever take advantage of me and I would never take advantage of her.

Your coworker seems to have no such compunction! I say do it - but charge what you would normally charge or more! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa2745

I had a co-worker ask me to make 20 cakes for a festival at her church that I didn't even attend. She's like "since your a baker I thought you would like to donate these cakes for me." I was like "uh, no". My husband was out of work at the time and times were tough and she thought I was going to bust out money for supplies to make her free cakes. She didn't even offer to pay for supplies. Needless to say, she never asked again.

Donate the cakes for her? Sounds to me like she was going to take the credit for making them, too. No cake for her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #34 of 67

I thought the exact same thing. She said she was responsible for taking cakes for the cake walk, well then bake them I thought. It's a cake walk and no one really expects you to purchase them all from a bakery. Oh, well she won't be asking me again that's for sure! Ha!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #35 of 67

I'd probably be a smarta$$ and say to her "Sorry, I only make free cakes for my friends and people I actually like" icon_biggrin.gif

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #36 of 67

I went to McDonald's and asked if they would make me a happy meal.
icon_confused.gif Can you believe they charged me for it?!?!?! icon_confused.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:58pm
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I went to McDonald's and asked if they would make me a happy meal.
icon_confused.gif Can you believe they charged me for it?!?!?! icon_confused.gif

LOL. The nerve of them. hahaha icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Are you kidding me? in this economy people are actually offering cakes for free.

Why sure! Because of this economy, NO ONE can afford to PAY for a cake so of COURSE we're all offering to do them for free out of the kindness of our little freakin' hearts!

dumba$$es.

Can you please be my mommy Indi! I swear you crack me up!!!!! Please tell me your kids think you are the best, right?

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #39 of 67

This string has one of those b-a-a-a-d feelings! If you do the cake at all, I can see a post down the road, where she is unhappy with it. I wouldn't do it at all. I think telling her you are already booked is the best idea.
Welcome to CC - you will love it here, and soon be addicted!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #40 of 67

Keep us posted. Don't let her get away with that. Geez.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrard

I currently work in the dental field. I just got all the proper license's/permits to sell decorated cakes on the side. It has been going well so far, however recently a co worker asked me to do her wedding cake. I said sure when you get married. (She had not been asked) yet. So a few months later she gets asked and now she says she wants the cake for free because I said I would make it. What do I do she is a very difficult co-worker and until I leave this job she will make my life a living hell. Any ideas?

Do you fear this idiot? If not stay clear of any dealings with her no matter the cost cos she sounds like a PITA whether you do her cake or not!!!The nerve of her -FREE my tapedshut.gif !!!!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #42 of 67

I'm going to quote my coworker when someone wants something outrageous:

"I want to be 20 years old and blond but that ain't happening either."

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I'm going to quote my coworker when someone wants something outrageous:

"I want to be 20 years old and blond but that ain't happening either."

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #44 of 67

See my signature line below.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #45 of 67

i deal with idiots like this all the time. some people just think they have entitlement to things. it's crazy. in my case because I bake and am I home baker they think that I have all the time and money in the world to make them things. I 'm a stay at home mom and i (thank God) don't have the urgent need to work outside of my home, they assume I'm floating in money and I can donate these cakes all the time. Crazy people.

Please don't let people take advantage of you.

Welcome to CC.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #46 of 67

Unfortunately we have all probably encountered something like this. When you first started you were trying new techniques, new recipes, taking classes and you had lots a free cake to give away.

now you're a professional, honed your skills, nailed down your delicious recipes, but your friends and co-workers still see you as Suzy homemaker with a hobby. not there is anything wrong with being a homemaker who makes cakes as a hobby.

but you're a business women and should be respected as one. my advice is first to believe it in your heart. talk about your cakes and your cake business like you take yourself seriously and soon everyone else will get on the band wagon.

I still face this with family an friends that have been with me from the disastrous beginning, eventually they will take you seriously, but you have to take yourself seriously first.

this year I did my cousin's wedding cake, it was so awesome! I probably spent 25 hours on it. My family was admiring my cake and I heard someone proudly say to a friend that earlier this year I had made a $1300 cake. This is what followed "can you believe it?" "who would pay that much for a cake?" "what does a $1300 cake even look like?"

So I just walked over and told them that actually the cake they were eating would have been a $1300 cake. http://vertucakes.com/blog/2009/09/23/flying-ketchup-bottle-wedding-cake/ Now I think they take me seriously but still I didn't get a thank you card for my gift of a totally awesome wedding cake for free to the bride and groom and this is because they didn't even consider it a gift.

I think they thought they were doing me a favor by letting me make the cake.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Quote:

still I didn't get a thank you card for my gift of a totally awesome wedding cake for free to the bride and groom and this is because they didn't even consider it a gift

Not even a thank you card????? I can't believe it!
I guess that is your last free cake right?

Loved the idea of the Ketchup and the plane.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #48 of 67

Love that cake! I never do cakes for free...even if I just charge for my supplies and a bit of my time. That's what I call the F&F (friends and family) discount icon_smile.gif and it's only for people that I actually like. I think you're making the right decision to not do it at all, even if she pays. She sounds like trouble!

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #49 of 67

What a cheeky mare!!

For family member/close friend ok fair enough but no don't do that for free...

I made free cakes for people so I could build my portfolio no one asked for a free cake. Thats rude to me!!

x

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #50 of 67

I did a wedding cake as a gift for the bride and groom, but I asked them ahead of time if they would like that as their gift. It was the second wedding for both of them, and really low budget. Someone else gave them the gift of a professional photographer. They loved these things as gifts as it helped them have a nicer wedding than they would have been able to afford. They are not materialistic and didn't want china or kitchen appliances.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #51 of 67

I would say "I'd LOVE to do cakes for the people I'm friends with for free, but I just don't have hundreds of dollars to donate to that!"

She has some nerve forcing you into a freeby anyhow.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #52 of 67

Actually you probably have a workplace harrassement situation if your co-worker either pressures you to make her cake and treats you unfairly because you refused to. Discuss with your boss.....

WhitSumm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhitSumm Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #53 of 67

I give Family and close friends 25% off whatever the regular price would be. The only time I do a cake for free is if I volunteer to make it. So far this has worked out very well for me.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Just start laughing, tell her you are a business and that when you said you would make the cake, you assumed she was going to pay for it. Then tell her that you're just starting your cake business and with the cost of licensing and equipment you're not in a position to do any donated cakes.

And if she keeps pushing, tell her you're not running a cake charity. I keep telling my daughters, sometimes when you're dealing with a bully you have to be a little rude back to them, or they walk all over you.

Well said! WOW, I cant believe she thought you are actually going to make her wedding cake for free! Next thing you know she will want some elaborate desgin with TONS of bead work, lace, 5-tier cake and each tier a diffrent flavor with imported chocolates! LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #55 of 67

I did a wedding cake and five dozen cake balls for a friend for free. Made bird of paradise flowers also along with painting some bought tropical gumpaste flowers. Also gave her a shower and a gift at the shower.

I got a thank you note . . .

wait for it . . .

for hosting the shower.

Not for the gift and not for the cake nor the cake balls. She's my age, too. Definitely old enough to KNOW BETTER.

::shakes head::

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #56 of 67

Next time someone wants a wedding cake for free tell them they can have one....if THEY make it! They'll realize pretty soon that cakes aren't cheap and no self-respecting cake decorator is going to give away free cakes, especially to nasty co-workers or ungrateful b*o*o*b*s!!

Geez-a-lou some people just make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm????"

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #57 of 67

When someone wants a free cake, your secret recipe, or anything else that they are NOT entitled to have, here's what you do:

1. Smile brightly
2. Say "I'm sorry, it's just NOT POSSIBLE for me to do that"

When the social clod protests in amazement with "why not", here's what you do:
1. Keep smiling
2. Say, "Because it's JUST NOT POSSIBLE."
3. Say nothing else, and let him/her stew in idiocy for a minute.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #58 of 67

When she asked the seamstress to make her dress, did she assume it would be for free?

What about the florist? The photog? The venue?

"I'm sorry, but I don't do free cakes anymore. I'm a fully legit business and my practice cakes are in the past. And I don't give discounts, either. I'm still paying for all my equipment and start-up costs, so I can't afford to discount to anyone."

Looking forward to hearing what you said, and her reaction.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

When someone wants a free cake, your secret recipe, or anything else that they are NOT entitled to have, here's what you do:

1. Smile brightly
2. Say "I'm sorry, it's just NOT POSSIBLE for me to do that"

When the social clod protests in amazement with "why not", here's what you do:
1. Keep smiling
2. Say, "Because it's JUST NOT POSSIBLE."
3. Say nothing else, and let him/her stew in idiocy for a minute.

Or you could simply say, "Well yes...I'd be happy to make a FREE wedding cake...when monkeys fly out my b*u*t*t." And as always, smile politely. thumbs_up.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:47am
post #60 of 67

I've been reading a book and one of the passages really got me thinking. Basically, the character is told that if you let people get away with treating you a certain way and accept their treatment of you they will think it was okay to treat you that way in the first place.

In other words, if you give in to her because you fear her treatment of you, she will assume that it was right of her to expect a free cake in the first place.

I like the I'm already booked way of getting out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%