Glad I Bothered With A Contract (Long!)

Business By -Tubbs Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 6

I got a call last Monday, wanting a wedding cake for yesterday. It was fairly simple, and I didn't have any bookings, so I was glad to take it (and NO I did NOT charge a rush fee - kicking myself for that!!!)

My PC was down, so I wasn't able to immediately send out a contract, and on Tuesday I had a minor surgery on my neck, which caused me more trouble and pain than I expected. I was a bit of a wreck so was kinda wondering if I should just let it go without a contract and take cash on delivery. However, my PC was back up by Thursday, so I did make the effort, got the contract out and then met the girl who ordered (groom's sister) on Friday - got cash and signed contract.

We turned up to deliver yesterday, BIG venue, all done up - seating for maybe 250+. HUGE cake table, whereon I plonk my little 6, 8, 10" stacked squares cake (will serve 100). I REALLY hope they had other desserts, cause there's no way there was enough cake there for everyone. I'm also VERY glad I have it in writing that this was what was ordered.

Sorry this is so long, but it was a lesson for me, and I thought it might help someone else in a similar situation.

(And, no, I didn't get the story on why they ordered a cake so late!)

5 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like cheapos to me. I'm assuming they either will have another dessert or are operating under the assumption of "Not everyone is gonna wan't cake". Yeah right. And yes, SOOO GLAD you have contract evidence.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 6

I'm really glad you decided to get the contract, too. Maybe they really did just want a smaller cake, but at least you've got the piece of mind from the written contract. Thanks for posting this. I am far from having my own business, but I enjoy reading this forum. At times I thought having a contract for a cake was a little over the top, but now (because of posts like yours) I'm starting to see the light. icon_wink.gif

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #4 of 6

Or worse, they have Walmart sheet cakes in the back. Does your contract state that yours will be the only *cake* served?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljc

Or worse, they have Walmart sheet cakes in the back. Does your contract state that yours will be the only *cake* served?

That's what I was thinking...they probably have cheapo cakes in the back.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljc

No, it doesn't. I will be changing that this week. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%