Attaching Fondant Accents Or Dragees To Buttercream?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 4:52am by ThreePrinces

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 7

This is probably a *very* basic question. But when attaching fondant accent or dragees to buttercream, do I need to use any royal icing? Do I just push in the accent or dragee directly into the buttercream without RI?? Will it be secure?

TIA!

6 replies
ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 7

I always use a little royal icing on dragees when attaching them...Pushing dragees into buttercream alone will make the dragees fall off if it's on the sides of cake...HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

I use a non crusting bc and I just slap motifs on there and push the dragees in. If you use a crusting bc, but work fast you can do the same.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 7

I usually ice with a crusting BC so if I can work quick before the BC has crusted then I will just stick them on but if not, I will use a bit of icing on the accents just to make sure there are no mishaps. princess.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 7

I dont use RI for anything cake. I use my regular BC and a small tip to 'glue' the dragees into place.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

A bit of melted chocolate or white chocolate might work too, I'd experiment first though.

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:52am
post #7 of 7

Hi Nancy icon_biggrin.gif

I don't use anything to adhere a fondant accent to buttercream. Just set it in place - I've never had an issue with it moving.

As for dragees, I just use a small tip (1 or 2) with regular buttercream in the piping bag, just pipe a little dot on the dragee and place on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%