Newbie - How To Make Imbc Very White

Decorating By Marbs Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm by LeanneW

Marbs Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 2

I bought the book 'Wedding Cakes You Can Make' by Dede Wilson and I've been trying to make the italian meringue buttercream. At first I was having problems when adding the buttercream to the meringue (it would deflate). I got some pointers by some CC members and I think I got it (so thank you so much for that). I think part of my problem is recognizing how is suppose to look like because I don't think I've seen it before (other than pictures).

Anyway, I have another question. The IMBC frosting in Dede's book looks so light fluffy and very white (almost like a whip cream or pastry pride icing). When I make it, it comes out ivory or off white (assume because of the butter content). How do I make IMBC very white?

Also, I was wondering if it's possible to make an extra batch of the meringue part and combine with an already made IMBC batch. Has anybody done this?

Any tips are greatly appreciated,

1 reply
LeanneW Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 2

first thing, stick with IMBC! one you get the hang of it you will never go back to regular bc again.

to cancel out the yellow butter color you can add the tiniest drop of violet gel coloring to your buttercream. not too much or your frosting will be violet. also, are you using vanilla extract in your bc? this is probably where the ivory color is coming from. try using a clear extract like almond or lemon or clear vanilla.

I use IMBC on all my cakes and my brides don't mind that it's ivory b/c it tastes so good.

About your second question, I think your asking about adding a second batch of meringue to the IMBC? it will definitely change the texture and might not smooth the way regular IMBC would, also with less butter content it will not harden the way IMBC will in the fridge, which for me is crucial to getting a good crumb coat and applying a smooth top coat.

good luck and I know you're going to love working with IMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%