Icing A Dummy Cake

Decorating By PollyH Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm by indydebi

PollyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyH Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I am new to this forum and a new decorator, too. Hopefully someone out there can help me. I am making the cake for my son's wedding in December. I would like to start the dummy layers now so I won't be so frazzled as the wedding (and Christmas!) approaches. I am hoping to ice the dummy layers (underneathe the fondant) so they will appear the same as the real ones, but I am worried about the icing going rancid or deteriorating if it sits that long. Does anyone know an icing recipe that will be OK under the fondant for a month or so? Thank you in advance!

3 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

I dont, sorry!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 4

You don't have to ice the foam before putting on the fondant. Just repair any major dents with a bit of royal icing, lightly spritz the foam with water and apply the fondant as usual. Do not handle the layers after applying the fondant to make sure you don't make fingerprint dents. If you are also covering the cake board with fondant, let it sit for a few days to dry and prevent fingerprint dents.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 4

and just for the record, the icing won't go rancid or sour. It will turn rock hard. I have iced dummy cakes that are 2-4 years old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%