Crisco

Decorating By laidbackluvvie Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm by laidbackluvvie

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 7

hi can anyone tell me what the english equivelent of crisco would be and thank to everyone i have picked some great tips up from this wonderful site, also corn syrup is it just called syrup here.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 7

In the UK, the white vegetable fat is Trex. It's a little stiffer than Crisco, but generally works the same.

Rae

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

Crisco is just a vegetable shortening. What are you going to use it for? If you want to use it for like a buttercream icing, you would be best served to use a hi-ratio type shortening that contain animal fats. You can (as I stated before) use an all vegetable shortening, but (IMO) it does not work as well.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

The OP is in England. I don't know if they have hi-ratio available there, that is why I directed her to Trex, which is basically the equivalent of Crisco in the UK.

Hi-ratio shortening IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FOR CONTAINS ANIMIAL FATS!!! It IS NOT lard. It merely contains trans-fats, which are not animal fats. Crisco and most store brands eliminated trans-fats about a year ago. I don't know if Trex has trans-fats or not.

Rae

laidbackluvvie Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 7

thanks everyone , at the moment i am just looking at cakes and all the different methods everyone uses, here in england most people cover cakes in fondant and i just thought i would experiment, i love baking so i thought i might have a go at covering cakes as a new hobby, i love all the great ideas found here and all the lovely people who share,so here goes (thats if i ever get time because im always on this site lol)

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 7

That's a place to start. Sorry, my bad about the animal fat. I was out of the loop on that one. My apologies to BlakesCakes and you laidbackluvvie.

laidbackluvvie Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 7

no problem jackie thanks for your help, no doubt i will be needing it in the future x sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%