Fondant Question!

Decorating By Momof5Angels Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm by Momof5Angels

Momof5Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5Angels Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif One of my BEST friends baby shower is coming up and I am doing the cake for her. I am soooooo excited about this cake and really want it to be awesome for her! This is her first baby so we are all tickled PINK (literally!). Anyway so I want to ask a couple of questions......What is in your opinion the best fondant? Taste wise and the best as far as working with. Also the color combo I am not real sure how to get when I am coloring the fondant. I know pink but it is the green that I am unsure about. I am going to try to add a link to a pic we found on here that she liked and I would love for someone to tell me the best way to get the color combos that are on the cake. I don't need to do the two variations of the pink and green on the cake but I may if it I can!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1423408.html

I couldn't get the pic to work so I posted the link. She loves the colors of this one. Going to do a similar cake but she doesn't want the blocks on the top.
Thanks for any help!!

3 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

looks like a leaf green, or possibly a mint green. I would just add more of the same color to some of your fondant to make it a darker green.

Do you want to make your fondant, or buy it? if you make it you should try marshmallow fondant...easiest to start with...and lots of recipes on CC, just search. IMO, if you want to buy it fondariffic tastes best...satin ice isn't too bad and doesn't cost as much as fondariffic.

you could also, just use buttercream as base and put fondant circles and stripes on.

HTH,
sandi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 4

If you buy your fondant, I recommend satin ice or chocopan. Satin Ice tends to be easier to work with, if you're not very experienced with fondant.

The above idea of icing it in BC then adding fondant accents is a good one. Less mixing of color.

start by making the lighter colored fondant first. Then pull some of that aside and darken it for the 2nd shade.

Momof5Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5Angels Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much! I think I am going to try a couple of combintions this week and see which one ends up coming out the best! I thought about doing the buttercream under with fondant accents but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get the buttercream as smooth as I would like however I think I'm going to give it a run through and see how it comes out! I am also going to make a batch of mmf and see how that goes (didn't have a whole lot of luck with it in the past) but I will probably end up with Satin Ice as my fondant. Again thank you for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%