First Wedding Order, I'm Scared To Take It...what Do I Do?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm by BooBooKitty

vagostino Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I just got my first potential wedding order, it's 250 servings and she wants buttercream, not fondant. That's what scares me, the size and the fact that she doesn;t want fondant! I suck at smoothing buttercream! I;ll try to convince her to use fondant but I'm not sure she'll go for it.
Should I do it, since I'll have to start doing wedding cakes at some point? or is this too much for the first wedding? How big would the cake have to be to get 250 servings!!!?
The biggest cake i've made was for 60, and all my cakes are fondant!
What do it do? Should i say yes and start practising (wedding is end of feb), or just say no and get more confident first?

6 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 7

start practicing. now. If you always do what you've always done ... you'll never get any better. Expand your skills, don't lie lazily in the same box HOPING someone will let you take the easy road.

You want to be the cake lady described as "She can do ANYTHING!", not the cake lady described as "well, if you like one partcular style, you might call this lady."

"Back in my day", there was no fondant, no food network, no you tube videos to show us all these really cool techniques. You learned cake decorating on your own and you learned it in buttercream. Period.

Expand your skills. BC is not "that old fashioned stuff". It's a valuable skill right alongside your fondant skills. thumbs_up.gif

vagostino Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! you are so right! I'm just terrified of ruining somebody's wedding if I don;t get good enough!
I wish my first wedding order was something smaller or in my comfort zone...but you are right....this is what i got.
Now how big should I make this cake? I'm looking at the wilton chart and even if i make a 16,14,12,10,8 that won't be enough!!

Oh and let me add, I don't think buttercream is old fashioned! Hats off to all of you buttercream experts! I just cannot get it smooth enough that's why I do fondant! icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

Dang it! I've tried 3 times to make this post and the computer keep burping on me!
HEre's the wilton chart I use:

According to this chart, a 6/8/10/12/14/16 serves 12/24/38/56/78/100 = 308 servings.

Here's how to cut a cake to achieve those servings: NOtice the pieces of cut cake are NOT paper thin.

HEre's pics of cut pieces of cake:

How many people did she invite? Under my 60% Rule, 60% of those invited will actually show up. If she invited 400, she can expect 240-250 to show up. If she invited 300, she can expect 175-200 to show.

vagostino Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 7

She told me that she needs the cake to SERVE 250, not that she invited 250. I'm not sure. I'm meeting her this friday so I'll ask her that question and also if she is planning to keep the top tier etc.

Oh my gosh Debi, just seeing those sizes written I'm hyperventilating! I don;t even know where am I gonna put all that cake!

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 7

That's why I always ask "how many did you invite?" Some brides feel like they ARE the most POP-u-lar girl on the planet and can't IMAGINE why someone would NOT come to their wedding. The 60% rule is a dose of reality.

Even Donald Trump, who pays people to be his friend, didn't have a 100% show rate at his wedding(s). icon_lol.gif

BooBooKitty Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by indydebi

Even Donald Trump, who pays people to be his friend, didn't have a 100% show rate at his wedding(s). icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I love that!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%