Fairy Tea Party

Decorating By mommyandmecakes Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 9:37am by PinkLisa

mommyandmecakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 20

Having a fairy tea party for my daughter on Saturday. I am planning a topsy turvey (with wedges) with a 12, 9, 6 and tea cup on top. I am making all the fairies, flowers etc in advance. I made all the cakes last night, wrapped and put in freezer, but now wonder if two weeks in freezer is too long? Also, I need help with timeline for ganache, fondant, stack, decorate, etc. I work full time and decorate as a hobby so I have to do everything in steps in the evening.

So can I make ganache on Tuesday and also fill and stack on Tuesday... Apply ganache weds...cover in fondant Thursday .... Stack decorate Friday??I wantto make sure I am food safe and btw I use could either use gnache or premade fruit filling.

Sorry for being so long. I really appreciate this site and all of your advice. Thank you.

19 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 20

wish i could help more but Two weeks shouldnt really be an issue with the cakes in the freezer as long as they are really really well wrapped up so they dont get freezer burn

PinkLisa Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 20

How exciting!! I did a fairy tea party for my five year old daughter last year. It was so much fun to plan. I just did cupcakes though which are less messy for five year olds... ha ha. I put out all my semi-fine china and really decorated the table. The girls all wore fairy or princess costumes. We decorated gingerbread angel cookies. I tried to attach a picture, but am not sure it will work.

Okay... getting back to your actual question. I think two weeks in the freezer is perfectly fine. I've done it myself for my kids parties since like you didn't have lots of time right before the party to do everything. Your decorating timeline sounds fine to me also.

mommyandmecakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 20

OMG! Too cute PinkLisa. I love the pictures. Thanks for the advice too!

prterrell Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 20

I've had cake in the freezer for over a year. When defrosted it tasted just as fresh as the day it was baked. (DH and I ate this, would never give a customer 12 month old cake).

mommyandmecakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 20

Thank you everyone nut what about my ganache, stack, etc timeline? I want to make it is food safe. Thanks

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 20

bump-advice pls

Win Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 20
Originally Posted by mommyandmecakes

So can I make ganache on Tuesday and also fill and stack on Tuesday... Apply ganache weds...cover in fondant Thursday .... Stack decorate Friday??I wantto make sure I am food safe and btw I use could either use gnache or premade fruit filling.

I won't be a lot of help, but it should not matter what you are using to fill and cover if you were to have started as early as Tues. as long as you popped them back into the fridge while you are not working on them. Even the "pros" (meaning those who get the most face time on television) speak of how long it takes to decorate a cake, so your timeline is not out of the ordinary.

Your special party sounds wonderful and I'm sure it will be a day your daughter remembers for a long time to come. You are a good Mommy!

Happy caking!

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 20

thank you Win. What if I don't have a big enough fridge - and I thought it couldn't be refrigerated after putting on fondant. Also, won't it absorb any other scents in the fridge?? What about the freezer - I have an extra one.

Thanks for the comments too! Having one of those days I need to hear that icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 20

From website Recipe911 (linked below):

Storage: A classic ganache can generally stay at room temperature for 2 days, as long as it's kept in a cool place. But, there are lots of exceptions to this rule - see also important discussion about storing ganache. If in a bowl, always place a piece of plastic wrap firmly against its surface so a film does not form or it won't form a sugar crust on its surface. It is perfect to use for a cake or wedding cake that has to sit out -- to store, place under a covered cake saver or inverted bowl so as not to mar its surface. Freeze for up to 3 months.

Since today is Thursday, and you probably did not start as early as Tuesday, it would be fine to leave your cake out now while you are working on it.

As to refrigeration when it already has its fondant covering... that is fine. A lot of people don't want to refrigerate fondant because it wants to sweat while it comes back up to room temp, but it is not an issue and will return to its original sheen. It's just nice to know if you have to work out many days in advance with perishable fillings you can keep the cake chilled while not working on it. I'm not a big fan of freezing fondant for short periods of time (meaning a couple of days or a week)... it's not an issue when a bride wants to freeze the top tier of her wedding cake, but for short term, it's just a hassle.

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 20

thank you Win -- The fairy cake is not for this weekend, but next Saturday. So then if I don't refrigerate making ganache on tuesday and decorating the rest of the week for a Saturday party is NOT a good idea based on the two day comment.

Thanks again!

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 20

Win - the link isn't working icon_sad.gif

Win Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 20

okay, sorry. It took me a few minutes to figure how to set you up.

Google: Baking nine one one (only use the numerals instead of the words)

For whatever reason CC won't let me link you into it.

Then go into "decorating." You will find info on fillings and frostings down further on the page. I'm not sure if you might need to create a log in name. I don't usually have trouble with it.

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 20

got it! so what do you think of this timeline:
tuesday: make ganache - unfreeze cakes
Wednesday: stack, fill and cover with ganache (put in fridge - covered?)
Thursday - cover in fondant _ no more fridge - leaving in air conditioned home
Friday - decorate

Thanks again

Win Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 20

Sounds perfect! thumbs_up.gif

I'd simply make sure you have all garlic/onion type of ingredients out of the fridge since it is your one and only. icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun and remember: it's just cake!

mommyandmecakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 20

PinkLisa Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #17 of 20

I think your time line looks good. I always refrigerate my fondant cakes and have never had a problem. Good luck and post a picture!!!

mommyandmecakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #18 of 20

Thank you all so much for your help -- couldn't have done it without all of your advice.

cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #19 of 20

Wow Pinklisa - great fairytale setup!!

PinkLisa Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:37am
post #20 of 20

mommyandmecakes -- GREAT JOB on the cake!!! Your daughter and her friends must have loved iticon_smile.gif

cylstrial -- Thanks! I'm now gearing up for my daughter's sixth birthday which will be a Barbie theme. Pink and purple will be the colors. I'm going to have the girls decorate mini Barbie dress cakes (they sell the mini Barbie picks in sets).

Quote by @%username% on %date%