How Do I Replicate This Pattern Onto Cake?

Decorating By rouv Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 12:22pm by rouv

rouv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rouv Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 12

A customer wanted the embossed pattern of their wedding invitation replicated on their cake (sides and top).

Would anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Attached is an image of the invitation:
LL

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 12

I can't see it that great but for what I can see...

I would find a decorating tube the right circumference, a ten or something for the bubbley area and a cookie cutter for the petals and I don't know I hope the cake is small 'cause you gotta work fast to get it all going.

And I would put a blob of fondant under each bubbley so it is raised a bit.

I would try to fashion some kind of dealio that would make the bubbley dealios faster--think I"d look at the hardware store for some hollow tubes that would fit together so you could maybe get your bubbleys done with five strokes rather than 35--kwim.

Thoughts o' the bubbley for yah. hic

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 12

Why, I think this one is way over my head, but here goes. This may be kind of what K8memphis was trying to say. Could you make you a mold for the center of the flower using "sculpey" modeling clay and bake it. Press fondant into the mold to make centers. Then just use fondant for the outside of the flower, cutting them out with a cookie cutter. Then attach the center to the fondant cut-out using a little buttercream or royal icing. I'm not totally sure that would work, but would be a lot easier than say brush embroidery. Which you might want to consider for another option. Gosh, that would be so time consuming though. I hope it is not a large cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 12

I didn't say this one important foundational step that may or may not be obvious. I'd fondant cover the cake and quick as possible emboss it as I described above.

So the 'blob', the dimple of fondant, under each flower center would be place on the buttercream --then apply the fondant over that. --then emboss quickly--get the major stuff on first alll over then go back & do details.

icon_biggrin.gif

That's a stunner cake--it she's getting married in Memphis, I'll help yah.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 12

Honestly, that looks pretty easy to me. I'd use a petal cutter, slap a bunch of them in a circle, overlap another circle toward the center and by the time I got to the center use the grass tip to put it lots of ri dots.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 12

Hi Rouvelee

Do you have a handyman/woman that could fashion you up a quick vacuum former? Only a timber frame, couple of frames and pvc pipe to attach normal vacuum cleaner - then you purchase the vivak sheets (food grade acetate) you will only be able to make a 'texture sheet' the same size as you piece of paper.... and not sure that the vacuum process MIGHT flatten the design on the paper (you would be able to tell beforehand by feeling it)

Pam (from Cakes & More icon_biggrin.gif )

I KNOW what you are like Rouv icon_biggrin.gif - when she says 'replicate' - she means EXACTLY hehehehe ..... AND she WILL work out a way!! - I know she will ! AMAZING WORK Rouv!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 12

What about just making flowers like those from fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate and placing them on the cake in that pattern? You could score the fondant base layer to replicate the back ground of petals. Maybe one of the three tiers or two of four have that design and the others be plain with the matching ribbon around them.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 12

I haven't read all the replies so forgive me if this is repeated.

How about you put a piece of wax paper on top of the invitation, and then pipe over the pattern with royal icing. Let the royal icing harden and then you've got yourself a hard pattern that you can emboss onto your cake. If you don't want the embossed look on the cake, then you can go over your embossing with the royal icing again to give it a raised look.

HTH.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 12

I think it's going to be gorgeous. I would also do the same thing as LeahS. Just cut out a bunch of petals and lay them everywhere. For all the little balls, I would just roll a ball of fondant and press it into a sieve. It will come out looking like the center of the flower.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 12

Is the invitation raised if so could you maybe use it on the cake pressing it onto the cake, Make sure it has plastic wrap on it so it will be clean. Just my thought.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 12

I would try to convince them that instead of embossing you could to the flowers like Leah said. You can even put pearls as the little dots, giving it more like a jeweled look. Tell them that will give their cake dimension and a classy look...

rouv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rouv Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:22pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much for your replies.
There are excellent ideas here that I can play with.

In gratitude,
Rouvelee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%