Multiple Tips Of The Same Size?

Decorating By Sabre3of4 Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 10:06am by grandmom

Sabre3of4 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:39am
post #1 of 4

I'm not sure if this should go in the 'How Do I' or the 'Cake Decorating' orums so if it needs to be moved please do so.

Hi,
My name is Sabrina and I'm a 39yo SAHM to 5. I am thinking of getting into cake decorating (ok, We'll probably do it all- candy making, cupcakes, cookies ect....lol). I was wondering I think I've seen previous posts on needing multiple tips of various sizes and I was hoping y'all could give some suggestions on which tips to have multiples of and maybe how many? I was thinking maybe 3 of the most popular sizes?
TIA,
Sabrina

3 replies
bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:52am
post #2 of 4

I have about 5 rose tips (104). The #3, #6 , #7. #10 and #12 are also popular ones for me as are most of the shell tips. You'll find it much easier to purchase multiple tips for the ones you use the most so you don't have to change out and wash the tips while you're decorating.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:27am
post #3 of 4

You may want to wait and see which ones you use the most and then buy multiples of those. Personally, the only ones I have multiples of are 2, 5, 10 and 104. But I don't do much with buttercream anymore. The reason I've got lots of 2 is that I use that one on cookies.

grandmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:06am
post #4 of 4

Back in the day, all we had was buttercream so we piped our little hearts out. And almost every cake had flowers of some sort, and roses in particular. All that has changed with the fondant/gumpaste craze. We don't pipe nearly as much anymore. I have a huge selection of tips and use them mostly for utilitarian purposes these days, such as piping dabs of royal icing to hold this decoration to that decoration, etc.

You say you have five kids? I doubt roses will be your thing. I agree with Texas_Rose, wait to see what you'll need multiples of. With kids, you may end up writing a lot of names and messages, so you might want to spend the money on a couple of really good writing tips by PME. Some of the lesser brands have a seam which causes the icing to curl wildly as it comes out of the tip. Little hands will have a hard time with that.

Have fun with your new hobby!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%