Debbie Browns "easy" Party Cakes, Aren't So Easy A

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm by chefjulie

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 19

Just a discovery I made tonight. Debbie Brown's "easy" party cakes, aren't really all that easy!

My son wanted me to make him the froggy cake, and I just completed it now, and I refuse to take pictures and post it. My frog looks like a cross between a frog and a monkey!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Also, the odd shape made it *really* difficult to cover it in fondant without getting all sorts of tears and pleats in it. thumbsdown.gif

I'm just really glad it's only for my DS, and I know he'll love it anyway because it's green (his favorite color).

Either Debbie Brown's cakes are not for me, or I'm just not ready for sculpted cakes. It was my first sculpted 3D cake....and it was HARD!

18 replies
kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 19

my 1st 3d cake came out horrible, it was all lopsided. the more you practice easier it is to carve. icon_smile.gif

Good luck next time , dont give up.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 19

Ok, I decided to be brave and post the pic. LOOL! I'm just laughing at it. It was my first attempt.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 19

that is super cute! you did a great job. I don't know what the one in the book looks like but you should be proud of this.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 19

Hi Nancy. I've got the book and went to get it to compare. Your frog looks great. It looks so much like the picture. It looks like you attached the head differently, but that in no way takes away from how good it looks. You should be very proud of how you did. I know I would.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 19

I think your cake looks great! But I agree that the cakes are not "easy". I was tempted to throw it away one year so the kids wouldn't get anymore grand ideas. But the race car cake I made for my son last March turned out great. Practice definitely helps.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 19

Nancy, this looks great! Far better than I could do.

I made a little 'teddy bear' for my great-niece's baptism cake out of fondant. It looked like an Ewok. icon_rolleyes.gif Ended up just cutting one out with a small cookie cutter and used that.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 19

That is wicked cute! I don't see any monkey whatsoever, lol. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! icon_smile.gif I guess I just thought it would turn out different than it really did, so that's why I'm so critical. Actually I've gone beyond the point of self-criticism, and have now started laughing at it!! LOOL! icon_lol.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 19

I agree your frog turned out wonderful! We are always so judgemental of ourselfs. This cake anyone would have loved .

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 19

It looks just like a frog no question. My two year old twins took one look and were yelling ohhh froggy. They love it. I love it. Great job! thumbs_up.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #12 of 19

I think it looks exactly like a frog and is very cute! I don't see any monkey-ness either. I think it is a case of a cake turning out differently than the one in your mind, but no one else can see its "faults."

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 19

He's CUTE! We are our own worst critic..... you really did very well on this!

Jen icon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 19

It is so cute!! I don't see monkey but maybe a little bit baby dinosaur.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 19

frankly i don't see anything wrong with the cake at all icon_smile.gif it looks terrific and very well done for your first time with this kind of cake icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 19

What a thoughtful little frog... he's pond-ering. thumbs_up.gif Ubber cute!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 19

Your frog turned out great, I wish mine would of turned out this good.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 19

Hi Nancy,

Excellent job - for a first carved/sculpted cake - GREAT WORK thumbs_up.gif

They are not the easiest to do but after a while, they become second nature.

Great colouring as well BTW on his head - you REALLY have done a great job and he will love it.

icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #19 of 19

I LOVE it!! I'm attempting the castle cake out of her Magical cakes (or something like that) book today, and am NOT looking forward to it icon_sad.gif It's for DD, but they directions are just NOT at all clear to me...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%