Plastic Tubes Instead Of Dowels?

Decorating By dsilbern Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm by leah_s

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 9

I tried using plastic tubes instead of dowels because I've read that they are easier to cut. But I found them difficult to cut - used different scissors and a craft snipper. The tubes buckled and didnt' leave a straight edge. I was afraid the angled edge might make my tiers crooked so I chickened out and went back to my wooden dowel comfort zone. What went wrong?

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 9

Are you talking about the white plastic dowels sold by Wilton? You are supposed to cut them using a serrated knife to saw through them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 9

You need to try SPS. If your tiers are the standard 4" tall, they come precut. See my siggy.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

Yes - the Michael's dowels. Duh to me for not trying a serrated knife. icon_redface.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 9

Leah where do you order SPS from? I've always used wooden dowels and have never had a problem, but I would like to avoid a cake disaster

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 9

kayla, GSA sells them.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:19am
post #7 of 9

thank you prterrell

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

I tried using plastic tubes instead of dowels because I've read that they are easier to cut. But I found them difficult to cut - used different scissors and a craft snipper. The tubes buckled and didnt' leave a straight edge. I was afraid the angled edge might make my tiers crooked so I chickened out and went back to my wooden dowel comfort zone. What went wrong?

This is a pipe cutter, you can get them at a hardware type store... it works beautifully~! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 9

[quote="kayla1505"]Leah where do you order SPS from? I've always used wooden dowels and have never had a problem, but I would like to avoid a cake disaster[/quote]

Also Oasis Supply (online retailer).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%