Please! Oh! Please! I Do Need Some Helllllllllp!

Decorating By all4cake Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm by elliebuff

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 30

I would really love to make this for my DD's bd tomorrow!

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2009/07-27/stefanie_s_ultimate_red_velvet_cake_cheesecake_400.jpg

I made r/v layers the other day. Seriously, how would one go about assembling one of these? Would you use a baked type filling or one of those no-bake kinds? If I use the baked kind, would I rest a crusted cheesecake on top of the r/v layers or do I use the r/v layers as the crust...or what?????

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

29 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 30

That's a really pretty cake. I would use crustless baked cheesecake. I've made cheesecake quite a few times without any crust and it turns out well. I believe the unbaked cheesecakes are not very stable at room temperature (although I have to admit I've never made or eaten an unbaked one) and wouldn't hold up to the weight of the other layers. I can't wait to see what your finished cake looks like. I love the idea!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 30

Are you sure that's cheesecake? It looks like icecream to me.

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 30

no, it's a cheesecake...cheesecake factory cheesecake...Stefanie's Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 30

Wow! I didn't know you could layer cheesecake and cake. Neat!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 30

Totally... crustless cheesecake... it's SOOOOOOOOO good too. The combo of rich chocolate cake and creamy cheesecake is beyond good. Don't even attempt it with a no-bake cheesecake... it plain won't work... there's just not enough structure. Baked cheesecake is nice and dense so you don't have to worry about it getting runny on you.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 30

It looks to me like that's red velvet and white cake (or maybe ice cream), with cream cheese in between. I can't imagine a layer of cream cheese being that thick, let alone 2 layers. Cream cheese is more of an icing/filling than a layer.

There was an episode of "Unwrapped" where they found this guy who made ice cream cakes, but layered them with real cake. That's what this looks like to me.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.

Upon reflection ... I'm thinking of a different form of cheese cake. I think you're referring to New York Style, which is quite firm --- I just don't know if it's firm enough to stack like this. Would be cool, though!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #9 of 30

That looks incredible! Id love to know how this is achieved. Good luck and please let us know how you go with it icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #10 of 30

Oh it does look so awesome and decadent! Keep us posted. I make my cheesecakes (baked that is) with only the bottom crust, no cruston the sides. They hold up well. I do realize you need no crust on these. Good Luck!

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #11 of 30

I searched Google for Red Velvet Cheese cake and here is a recipe...don't know if it's exactly the same as your picture...but might give you some ideas:

Prep: 20 min.; Bake: 1 hr., 25 min.; Stand: 1 hr.; Chill: 8 hrs. The cheesecake's deep red filling and snowy topping is wonderfully dramatic. Fresh mint sprigs add a pop of Christmas color.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 (1-ounce) bottles red food coloring
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
Preparation
Stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.

Beat 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.

Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Beat 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish, if desired.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #12 of 30

Okay, that is a gorgeous picture but the thought came to my head that if some of the layers were cheesecake, your cut pieces would NEVER look like that.... icon_lol.gif All the layers would sort of smush and run together...don't you hate specially decorated food photos!

farmersdaughter4 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:23am
post #13 of 30

Here is a food columnist remarks re the Cheesecake Factory cake...she sampled it;

Stefanie's Ultimate Red Velvet Cheesecake: We were expecting a red velvet-flavored cheesecake filling, but instead, this cake is composed of layers of traditional red velvet cake, sandwiched between plain cheesecake, topped with cream cheese frosting and garnished with white chocolate curls. We did appreciate the genuine red velvet texture, though.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #14 of 30

At my Walmart they sell pre made cheesecake filling that comes in orginal or key lime you could use that for one of the layers in the cake and chill it before you frost it. I find it by the cream cheese.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #15 of 30

thanks for the recipe farmersaughter!! icon_biggrin.gif

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:59am
post #16 of 30

Have you tasted the cake from Cheesecake Factory, all4cake? The picture makes me want to go down there and sample it. As another post indicated, if you use a fairly dense New York-style cheesecake without crust it will work out well. I think I'm going to try one for the family for Thanksgiving. These are our two favorite desserts so combining them should be wonderful.

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:24am
post #17 of 30

I am so sorry ya'll! Pizza came and I fell asleep watching some stupid movie on the couch. I have not tasted it. I would so love to though! I was trying really hard to see it...it looks almost like there's a layer of something between the layer of cake and cheesecake...the same color runs between the layers and the outside layer of icing. Almost could imagine it as maybe vanilla wafer crust(which, to me, would be an awesome textural(?) experience). I will post my results for sure.

To the poster that shared the recipe, that is an awesome looking recipe!

I appreciate everyone's input! Again, I'm sorry I wimped out and fell asleep!

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:46pm
post #18 of 30

I used the cheesecake recipe off Food Network . com. Divided it between two pans that I lined with parchment. It baked beautifully. I removed them from the oven and the bad boys fell. Something about the way they look give me the feeling that I'ma have issues....bbiab to update

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 30

A year or two ago, Bobby Flay had a throwdown with Juniors Cheesecake. It was all about cheesecake layered between cake....ultimate sugar rush. So, I looked up Juniors website to have a look at these cheesecake cakes, Sons birthday was coming up, so I made a caramel apple cake with baked cheesecake layer.

The layers did not squish, stayed nice and firm, but oh my....this was the richest piece of dessert I have ever had, believe me you only want a small slice. I did another for a grandaughter BD and people really liked it, just keep it refrigerated until shortly before serving time.

The cheesecake recipe I used is Alton Browns recipe....you can't fail following his directions. Here is a link to part one of his video, on the site you will see part two.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #20 of 30

I was thinking the same... if you use actual baked NY style cheesecake... your layers won't mash. Be sure to wipe the blade clean between cuts and it should slice very nicely.

Like I said before though... do *not* attempt this with a non-baked cheesecake or those tubs of cheesecake flavored filling... a layer that thick would spell disaster and a big mess. I like chocolate cake with chocolate cheesecake and bittersweet ganache between the layers... like hellieOh said though... SUPER rich.

The icing between the layers is cream cheese icing... so you assemble just like a normal cake. Though the crust would make for a nice added texture... if you do go that route just be sure the crust is rather thin so it cuts easily.

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #21 of 30

I remember watching that Throwdown, hellie0h. I told myself that I was going to try that myself...totally forgot (which I often do) until you mentioned it. I believe they used dark chocolate cake with their cheesecake which looked wonderful. I much prefer red velvet (one of my favorites) so after you try it, all4cake, please let me know how it turns out. Good luck with it. I can't wait to see the end result.

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 30

I shoulda freakin' bought a cheesecake for between the layers! The cheesecake I made is stuck to the parchment! I broke down and filled it with cheesecake pudding/whipping cream...that stuff tastes like vanilla custard!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #23 of 30

OMG!! That picture looks INSANE!! I think I'm going to have to try it!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #24 of 30

The cheesecake factory cheesecake is the best I've ever had. And I love the way they experiment with different combinations.
This is a perfect dessert for the holidays. I think I'm going to give it a try myself.
You can purchase their cheesecakes whole but they are quite expensive.
Good luck with yours!

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #25 of 30

It's together with the pudding mix 'cheesecake' filling. I haven't given up on a cheesecake cheesecake filling. I don't think I'll try another crustless though.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #26 of 30

The picture, the recipe... ALL of it sounds amazing! I am with others in saying I will be making, or trying to, for Thanksgiving!!

farmersdaughter4 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #27 of 30

I think I have found what you need....check out http://domesticgoddessadventures.blogspot.com/2009/10/red-velvet-white-chocolate cheesecake.html

She searched for over a month for the Cheesecake Favtory cake and came up with her version. Her blog has pictures and step by step instructions. Hopefully this is as close as we will get until C Factory divulges recipe. Enjoy, Judy B

Red Velvet Cake
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 tsp red gel-paste food color
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp distilled white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together cake flour, cocoa, and salt.

With an electric mixer on med-high speed, whisk together sugar and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix in food color and vanilla.

Reduce speed to low. add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and whisk well after each. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam), add mixture to the batter and mix on medium speed for 10 seconds.

Line two 9 inch spring form pans with parchment paper. Divide the batter equally between the two pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Transfer pans to a wire rack. Allow to cool before removing the cake from the pan. Allow to cool completely before assembling with the cheesecake.

White Chocolate Cheesecake
Adapted from the Williams Sonoma Baking Cookbook

2 oz white chocolate, chopped
16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature ( 2 packages)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 tbsp flour
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the white chocolate and set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, using an electronic mixer, mix the cream cheese on low speed until creamy. add the sugar and mix slowly until smooth. on low speed, mix in the flour. turn off the mixer and scrape down the bowl and beater with a rubber spatula. Add one egg at a time and mix until smooth. scrape down again. mix in the vanilla and cream until the mixture is smooth. Using a large spoon, stir in the melted white chocolate until incorporated.

Pour the batter into a parchment paper lined 9 inch spring form pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the center is set when you shake the pan slightly. Allow to cool before removing from the spring form pan. Allow to cool completely before assembling with the red velvet cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting

24 oz cream cheese (3 packages), at room temperature
3 sticks of butter, at room temperature
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups of powdered sugar, plus more to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electronic mixer until well combined. Add more powdered sugar to taste, if a more sweet frosting is preferred. Use immediately to frost the cake.

After assembling the cake, allow it to rest in the fridge over night, before serving. Serve immediately after taking it out of the fridge.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Okay, that is a gorgeous picture but the thought came to my head that if some of the layers were cheesecake, your cut pieces would NEVER look like that.... icon_lol.gif All the layers would sort of smush and run together...don't you hate specially decorated food photos!

Chances are it's been retouched to remove any cutting streaks.

all4cake Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #29 of 30

farmersdaughter4, that recipe looks like the one I will try next! Thank you!

Results from the pudding shtuff...

I did not like it! DD said it was good but I really think she was being kind. It came out as a nice, firm filling and the contrast was as drastic as is in the photo(cutting didn't result in streaking but it did produce a few r/v crumbs that didn't affect the beautiful look).

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #30 of 30

that looks great--thanks for posting the link to the blog!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%