Multi Loop Box For Gift Box

Decorating By caked4life Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm by caked4life

caked4life Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #1 of 6

How do you make a multi loop bow. The kind that you would put on top of a gift box cake.

5 replies
KimAZ Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 6

I make bows using fondant. Cut out twenty 6" long strips. Mine are about an inch wide. Fold them in half and wet the ends with water to stick them together. I dry mine standing sideways on a cake board. Others dry them over a dowel or something similar so they hang to dry. Drying overnight works great for me. You can either pinch the ends of each loop before drying so they're pointed or use scissors to cut them into points after they're dry. This helps them fit together better when it's time to assemble the bow.

To assemble, start with a dollop of melted candy melts (I use white ones but any color to match the bow will work too) in the center of a 6" cake board. Line up and lay 6 loops opposite of each other in a circle so the ends touch in the center of the candy melts. Add another dollop of chocolate in the center. Position 6 more loops on top of but in between the bottom layer of loops. The candy melts dry quickly and will hold the loops in place. Continue this process until all the loops are filled in to make the bow. Let it set up for maybe 5 minutes or so then lift off the cake board and set on top of the cake.

I like to make bow tails too so just cut 4 strips of fondant the same width as the bow loops, maybe 4-6 inches long depending on how you like them. Cut the ends in a "V" shape using the corner of a square cutter, knife or scissors. Position them under the bow at a 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock postion. You can give them movement by bending the fondant ( like an "S" shape) and letting them dry a bit on their sides first, or by using putting something under them to hold the shape while their on the cake to dry.

Seems like a lot of steps but it's really quite easy. Good luck!

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 6

I place a wire in each loop. Bend the end of the wire into a hook, moisten with the littlest bit of water and insert into the pointed ends. I do dry over a plastic dowel. When dry insert into the cake wherever they need to go to be realistic looking. I'm personally not fond of the blob of chocolate.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 6

Here's a tutorial on it:

I use the blob of chocolate in mine. What works best for me is to put a piece of waxed paper in my cake pan and build the bow in there. That way it comes out the exact size that I need.

The last bow that I made was done with gumpaste. It's possible to get the loops much thinner and looking more like real ribbon than it is with fondant, but I used to make bows from marshmallow fondant and execpt for a longer drying time, it works fine.

miny Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:27am
post #5 of 6

RI also works great to glue it together

caked4life Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm excited to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%