Can I Use A Wooden Rolling Pin With Fondant?

Decorating By herlittleway Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm by herlittleway

herlittleway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herlittleway Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

Have anyone of you tried using a wooden rolling pin to roll out your fondant? I've never worked with fondant before and am wondering if I should go out and purchase one of those plastic, non-stick types. I already have a wooden pin in my kitchen, can I just use that?

Thank you!
Rebekah

7 replies
mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 8

I have a small rolling pin that I use for small pieces of fondant but I use a wooden one for big pieces.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 8

ive used both icon_smile.gif i find the wooden one can leave imprints if it has any imperfections in it though icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

yeh as long as you have a nice smooth one it's perfectly fine, i have been using a wooden one on my fondants for a while now icon_smile.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 8

Make sure it's smooth all the way around and that it is wide enough for the size of fondant you are using.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 8

I don't like my old wooden rolling pin on fondant. It makes woodgrain impressions (unless you're going for that look -- ha ha).

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:24am
post #7 of 8

I have a big ol' collection of rolling pins, and I use my wooden rolling pin on fondant a lot. Which pin I use is usually determined by the size I'll be rolling out.

My wooden pin's barrel is about 12" long, it's not too big in diameter, is older than dirt, but my very favorite pin. It was my very first purchase as a young bride about 40 years ago, and cost $.98 in a cheap dollar store. It is just like the model in the famous Julia Child episode where Julia bangs the small cheap pin around, calling it a toy.

It was all I could afford, and over the years I've turned out countless perfect biscuits, pies and cookies with the thing, and now fondant. Take THAT, Julia!!

herlittleway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herlittleway Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you very much, everyone, for your replies. I believe my old wooden one will be the perfect length and I don't see any imperfections, so I think I'll do just fine with "good ol' betsy."

Thanks!
Rebekah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%