Non Edible Gems On A Wedding Cake???

Decorating By therese379 Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm by jenmat

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 9

My problem is... I have to make a wedding cake and the bride wants(insists) on having non edible gems/crystals on the cake.. Where do I but them in bulk larger than the 8mm size found at Michael's in small packs of 22... Any suggestions??? thanks..

8 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 9

Try bead/jewellery suppliers or Google Swarovsky crystals stockists. I get mine from Bead Charm here in Australia - no idea if they ship overseas or what the rates are if they do but I'm sure there will be a local alternative for you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think I would do one like this unless they were imbedded in the stand or something like that.

I would conside having her sign off specifically on this issue.

I would keep a careful count of them and require her to have her cake cutter remove these by that count. Make sure she finds 32 or whatever.

This is food.

I haven't seen it done in years but we used to put crystals
on the tips of lace pieces --just stunneringly beautiful but oh so fraught with danger.

Sparkling dramatic thoughts for you.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I don't think I would do one like this unless they were imbedded in the stand or something like that.

I would conside having her sign off specifically on this issue.

I would keep a careful count of them and require her to have her cake cutter remove these by that count. Make sure she finds 32 or whatever.

This is food.

I haven't seen it done in years but we used to put crystals
on the tips of lace pieces --just stunneringly beautiful but oh so fraught with danger.

Sparkling dramatic thoughts for you.

oh so correct, never know if a child or adult for that matter might pick one out and try to eat even before the cutting of the cake, kids are fast and you never know.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with K8 and tatorchip. I would reconsider this.

Have you seen the supplies for making gems at Country Kitchen Sweet Art? They look realistic.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:50am
post #6 of 9

A friend of mine found a compromise with this - she provided her decorator with satin ribbon to go around the cake tiers, and she (the bride) had embedded the crystals in the ribbon.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:22am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I agree with K8 and tatorchip. I would reconsider this.

Have you seen the supplies for making gems at Country Kitchen Sweet Art? They look realistic.

Yeah, but it just doesn't have the same impact as proper bling bling crystals! I have seen this technique done on lots of cakes in Europe & Australia, you just need to make people aware they are real and remove them before serving. Also make sure that you have that clause in your contract about not being responsible for your cake causing bodily harm to the guests!

I have a bride who wants me to create a toadstool cake using a real log as the stem. Now that I have said no to (lord knows what creepy crawlies maybe living on that thing - she was going to get the in-laws to find it in a local wood icon_eek.gif !). I would say yes to the real crystals, but it will be a PITA for whoever is serving the cake!

I would try Ebay for the crystals, sterilise them in alcohol first and then attach to the cake with RI, easier to chip them off then than digging them out of the icing itself.

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 9

hey.. sorry I was away for a couple of days.. flu.. thanks for all the great help.. you are all so clever.. icon_smile.gif therese

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

I do use rhinestones sometimes. I do have the bride sign a waiver. I use Dreamtime Creations. Its a website that sells every size you can think of and almost every color too. Good prices and pretty fast shipping. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%