Two Different Logos/color Schemes For Business - Bad Idea?

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm by vagostino

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 7

I always had a pink and brown logo and a few months back, changed it (including the website) to a teal and brown one that is apparently a very popular choice thru VistaPrint. I have been lucky enough not to have anyone else nearby with the same logo but that design is not available for all of the items, can I use both?

Do you think this is confusing to customers? I am setting up a bakery and don't want to start off on the wrong foot - Vista Print has alot of really cool designs but for the banners (which I use as oversized signs) they are limited. What do you think? thx

6 replies
froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 7

I say if at all possible stay with the same logo. Yes it can be confusing to potential customers. If that is not an option maybe you can atleast have them in the same colors???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 7

It's not unusual for a business to undergo a "facelift" or even a complete change. I have a photog friend who changed his company name, logo, marketing strategy, etal. At first he was afraid he'd be starting over with everyone re-discovering him, but it's worked out wonderful and he's soaring under his new name. He's after me constantly to upgrade my company name and image to something TOTALLY different. And I have to admit, he's making progress.

I dont' think it will be confusing to customers (does anyone REALLY notice when Aunt Jemima & Betty Crocker update the face of their ladies on their products? Did we stop buying Kellogg's "Sugar Smacks" cereal when they went to a "healthy" image by calling it "Honey Smacks" instead?). Your customers are probably literate and don't try to find you by driving up and down strip malls looking for your logo. They know where you are, how to log onto your website, how to call you on the phone.

I'm not sure how it's confusing to "potential" customers .... a "potential" customer is someone who hasn't used you yet, so do they really know what your logo is or your company color is anyway? icon_biggrin.gif

I think if you change it willy-nilly, like women rearrange household furniture, then it makes you look disorganized and not sure of what you're doing. But to "upgrade" a change is not a bad thing.

I also think a lot of it depends on how established your current logo is. We'd all like to think that EVERYONE knows what our symbol of business is, but unless you're Coca Cola or General Motors......?

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 7

Hey Cake Diva,

I understand what you mean, because my artistic and design sense favors consistency. However, I think your two color combos will be just fine. Especially because:

1. It's the same 'family'/genre/era of color combo-- chocolate brown & pink and chocolate brown & aqua. Even mixing the two together in the same space wouldn't look strange. It's not like it's black-white-silver art deco mixed with chocolate brown-aqua-sweet stylized.

2. You likely don't have such a presence yet that one logo or color combo evokes your business.

Go forth and rest assured that this is minor. Good luck on your new venture!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

Lol, um, yeah...General Motors I am not! icon_lol.gif I just didn't want it looking tacky by having two sets of themed advertising. I already ordered and paid for a huge, 6 foot banner (pink & brown) and I like how clean and sharp the lettering is so I wanted to use that as the sign above the baker counter.

But all my business cards and new postcards, brochures, flyers, etc are in the new aqua/brown combo. In short, I didn't want to look like that disorganized housewife in business (Sadly, I already resemble that in life icon_biggrin.gif)

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

Change it up next time you order...1/2 pink 1/2 teal plates or cards or whatever. Organized chaos don't 'cha know.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 7

I know you are trying to make them both work but I have to be honest, I wouldn't use them at the same time. IT's ok if you are transitioning towards the new logo, but if the banner is a permanent thing I wouldn't have cards in another color.
i'm really OCD so it might be just me that is obsessed with color coordination, but have you ever noticed how in commercials they dress the people with the colors of the product? (like in the swiffer commercial the girl is in purple and there are purple/lavender accents in the house?). I believe in subliminal advertising and if people drive by and see your banner, they "might" unconsciously not connect it with the other color card they saw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%