Tool To Cut Wooden Dowels...where Can I Find It???

Decorating By KKC Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 1:33am by melodyscakes

KKC Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone,

I see everyone use some kind of tool that cuts the wooden dowels...I don't know the name of it or where to find it. Can anyone here tell me where i can get it and what its called? TIA


10 replies
dstbni Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 11

I read somewhere else on here that some people use dog nail clippers to cut dowels, so you might give that a try.

revskg Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 11

I have a good quality pair of dog toenail clippers that I bought just for dowels. They work great. Get the ones that look kind of like wire cutters

icer101 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 11

there is a lady on you tube.. using a rachet action pruning shears.. i e-mailed her and she told me she got it at a hardware store.. it shows her cutting thru like the wooden dowels were paper.. (that good). haven,t gotten one yet.. but want that particular one. i have only gotten the regular pruning shears. and they work good. but not like i see this person..

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 11

I have used all those and had a bit of trouble getting it thru and then it crushing the dowel. If it's all you have, it will work but my husband got this funky little tool (I think it's made to cut tv cable) and it clamps around the dowel and you put your finger in and squeeze as you spin around a couple of times and it makes a nice, flat cut.

I will try to find it and put a pic up if anyone is interested. HTH icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 11

I use small pruning shears. Only about 7" long, stay right in my kitchen drawer.

sugarandslice Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 11

cakediva, that sounds great. Could you pls post a pic?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 11

Pvc cutter--I got mine at my plumbing store but I'm sure the big box stores have them. I've also used the pruning shears too.

JenniferMI Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #9 of 11

I use small pruning shears as well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

KKC Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:27am
post #10 of 11

Sorry I didn't respond sooner! Well thank you guys for your responses, I had no clue what they were called, or where I could buy them.

Cakediva, if you could post a pic that would be great. Thanks!!

melodyscakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:33am
post #11 of 11

I also use the pvc pipe cutter from Home Depot, or any hardware store.
they clamp down on the dowel rod and cuts it pretty effortlessly.
it cost around $30.00 but well worth it.
I haven't tried the dog clippers, bet they would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%